Hi, at the moment I have an Ibanez RG370 and I'm looking at getting new pickups to replace my stock ones. I'm thinking of getting Dimarzio ones after a recommendation from my guitar teacher (and the fact that a million metal players have EMG's and I want to be different). My friend on the other hand is pushing me to get a new guitar instead (probably and Ibanez S470). Is it better to get new pickups or a new Ibanez with stock pickups?

Gear I currently have:
Krank Chadwick series head
Crate Cab
Ibanez RG370 (stock everything)
Ibanez Tube Screamer
BBE Sonic Maximizer

I really don't know much about pickups, all I know is that I want to get a neck and bridge humbucker (I never use the middle single coil anyway). I'm in a progressive metal band and mostly play prog metal stuff (Dream Theater, The Human Abstract, Protest the Hero stuff), but I also use my clean channel a lot and am in a ska band too (Streetlight Manifesto, Reel Big Fish stuff, weird combination of styles I know). Basically, I want to be able to hit those really cool sounding harmonics and do the high gain stuff and be able to play clean ska stuff too.

Any recommendations?
eventually, you would want to change pickups for the new guitar as well. i say buy a new trem, like on OFR, to replace the Edge III. then replace pickups and that will be a better guitar.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
really why get a new guitar? Do you like the way your guitar plays and sounds if so yea throw some pups in, rather than throw away a large amount of cash on a new guitar.