Hey
I'm planning on buying a Line 6 HD150 and cab from the US as it is uber cheap ($700AUS) but i was wondering what modifications would need to be made (if any) to suit the power system here.

Also shipping prices and the like would be helpful
Quote by Shylock
Well, If I woke up a girl, I would immediantly proceed to achieving an orgaism.

because they are superior to ours.

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!
Idk, you'd probably just need a power point adapter or something, can't be anything too difficult, because I can't imagine bands touring the world with amps setup for each region.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Yeah thats what i was thinking, but i hear Americans have 110v power whereas we have 240v, thats a pretty significant differance.
Quote by Shylock
Well, If I woke up a girl, I would immediantly proceed to achieving an orgaism.

because they are superior to ours.

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!
You would either need to replace the internal power transformer, or get an external stepdown transformer between the mains and the amp.
Wow, that is a big difference... Why is it that we use so much power when they use so little? Wouldn't using less power be more environmentally friendly?
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Jesstaa
Wow, that is a big difference... Why is it that we use so much power when they use so little? Wouldn't using less power be more environmentally friendly?

Voltage =/= Power

Something dissipates the same power with half the current at 240VAC

Power in watts is E*I or voltage times current. If a proper transformer is used, all of the dissipation in an amp will be the same as running off of 120VAC.

The voltage and phase are stepped down anyways from larger long distance transmission lines that operate in 3 or 4 phase at many kilovolts. Energy is only wasted if it is converted from electrical energy, otherwise it will keep flowing in the grid.
American amps on Oz power need a step up transformer to make the voltage right for the amp. The alternating current speed is still going to be low so your amp will be slightly underpowered and have a darker mushier tone but it'll be a very slight difference.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Jesstaa
Idk, you'd probably just need a power point adapter or something, can't be anything too difficult, because I can't imagine bands touring the world with amps setup for each region.

Voltage selector anyone? Lots of amps can just be switched over.

You need more than a plug adapter to convert 240V to 110V, it does have to go through a proper transformer. A band could also have 110V american plugs on stage anywhere in the world if they insisted, so much bizzare wiring gets hooked up off venue 3 phase banks through any amount of transformers and alien looking plugs. In a stadium, the bump in crew basically build the electrical system from scratch every gig. so if a band was determined to have X number of 110V US outlets for backline, that's a simple job for an electrician. But seriously they probably just have a voltage selector on the amp, retrofitted if necessary.

Lots of touring acts just use backline that the local crew has arranged for them, rather than bothering to lug a whole lot of stacks halfway around the world that don't even run on local power. That's doing it the hard way. Just pick up the phone in LA and say "I want 6 Marshall JCM800s and 12 4X12s" and when you fly into Sydney they're already set up for you. Too easy mate.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by Axecutioner
Voltage =/= Power

Something dissipates the same power with half the current at 240VAC

Power in watts is E*I or voltage times current. If a proper transformer is used, all of the dissipation in an amp will be the same as running off of 120VAC.

The voltage and phase are stepped down anyways from larger long distance transmission lines that operate in 3 or 4 phase at many kilovolts. Energy is only wasted if it is converted from electrical energy, otherwise it will keep flowing in the grid.

You lost me... there

All you need is an adapter that's what my guitar teacher uses for his british and american amps.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Quote by KISSguitarist
You lost me... there

All you need is an adapter that's what my guitar teacher uses for his british and american amps.

I was under the impression that Aussie and British voltage were the same?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^^^ The voltages are really close 230/240 volts and the hertz are the same 50. But the wall plugs are different. Not all amps have cords easily changed. To TS youre gonna find there is a reason the spider head and cab are so cheap. They arent very reliable amps and getting it fixed under warranty would be a serious problem from AUS. They dont have very good tone and you would also need the special FBV pedal to change channels etc which is another 100 to 250 dollars. Cant imagine the shipping on a cab would be less than buying a cab in AUS. Plus the import taxes etc involved.
Quote by Tackleberry
^^^ The voltages are really close 230/240 volts and the hertz are the same 50. But the wall plugs are different. Not all amps have cords easily changed. To TS youre gonna find there is a reason the spider head and cab are so cheap. They arent very reliable amps and getting it fixed under warranty would be a serious problem from AUS. They dont have very good tone and you would also need the special FBV pedal to change channels etc which is another 100 to 250 dollars. Cant imagine the shipping on a cab would be less than buying a cab in AUS. Plus the import taxes etc involved.

It's not a Spider amp; it's an HD150, which are better than Spiders.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by SupremeACL

HD150=spider
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by SupremeACL

Actually the HD150 is the spider 3. You are thinking of the HD147 whole different thing. As the TS said he was getting an head and cab for 700$ that would rule out the HD147. The 147 is 1200$ just for the head.
Sorry for the bump, but I've figured out the gear to do it with. I knew it should be possible for an australian stage crew to easily run 110V American power on stage, since it all comes in on 3 phase anyway.

http://www.blackboxproductions.com.au/p1stagepowerdistributionsystem.php

Here's what I'm talking about, gives you 110V edison outlets straight off the dis board, with Australian 3 phase going into it. They reckon you can put 160 amps of 120V on this thing, which by my arithmatic means just a shade under 20,000W worth of American gear, and you could just put the rack in with the rest of the boards, and run a seperate loom for the backline.

Sorry about the long bump again, I just found this piece of gear when I was looking at some other stuff available and then remembered this thread.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by CorduroyEW
American amps on Oz power need a step up transformer to make the voltage right for the amp. The alternating current speed is still going to be low so your amp will be slightly underpowered and have a darker mushier tone but it'll be a very slight difference.

eh, its all digital, i figure the engineers engineered a good enough power supply for it even with running at 50hz

from line6's website
Q: I purchased my internally powered Line 6 unit in a region that has "XXX" voltage, and now I am relocating to a region that has different power. Can my Line 6 unit be modified or do I need to use a external transformer?
A: Many Line 6 devices (i.e.rack mounted PODs, Flextone, Vetta) and amplifiers can be internally modified at an Authorized Line 6 Service Center to the power needs in your new region. Spider amplifiers require that the transformer be replaced along with internal modification. Please note that this is a non-warranty modification and will not be covered under any warranty agreement.

otherwise like said, step up transformer

Quote by Jesstaa

higher voltage = lower current = lower losses

though its only 240V for the last couple of hundred feet from the transformer on top of power lines to your house.

it travels to your house from the power plant at tens, if not hundreds of thousands volts
Last edited by seljer at Sep 28, 2008,