I recently got a guitar from a friend, which is used but in pretty good shape. It has a FR tremolo bridge and the problem is that the nut blocks (which are part of the nut) were not on it when I was given it and they are basically needed to lock the strings down. I was thinking about buying new nut blocks which are pretty cheap, but then I heard about locking tuners which could solve my problem plus take away the problem of tuning the guitar for an hour. Is it worth it to buy locking tuners? I don't know much about them.
Well, for the most part, yes. If you are adept at stringing your non locking tuner guitar and you have a graphite nut (and sprinkle some graphite filings on any other string-metal contact points. EXCEPT the tuners themselves of course) you'd be surprised at how well your guitar will stay in tune.

Some locking tuners require you to do some wood working to get them to fit, so make sure you research about that point first.

EDIT-
So I'm basically saying I don't see the point of a FR. Sure it's fun, and it can't be beat for extreme whammy use live... but my pitiful little squier strat can stay in tune with moderate whammy use after I took the right steps.

I know there are non FR locking tuners (spertzel? I don't remember the name). Those seem like those would be good. Drop in the string, lock it down and cut.
Last edited by oggiedoggy at Jul 31, 2008,
i think you should just get ney nut blocks it would be simpler and the problem with tuning a floyd isnt the tuners its the bridge actually moving up and down so i dont think it will be any easier to tune with locking tuners

what kind of guitar is it
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Quote by Dan shreds
i think you should just get ney nut blocks it would be simpler and the problem with tuning a floyd isnt the tuners its the bridge actually moving up and down so i dont think it will be any easier to tune with locking tuners

what kind of guitar is it
I've seen some reviews from people that have FR's who put those planet waves tuners in their guitar and they said it stays in tune great plus it trims the string for you when changing strings. Then again, you don't know who u could trust.

It's an ESP F-200 btw. I don't think they make it anymore but its a pretty sweet guitar.
The FRs work best with the locking nut. And locking tuners wont get rid of the tedious process of putting new strings on the guitar. If it has a locking nut you would need to make some sort of adapter to put a regular nut in it as the slot for locking nut and regular nut are pretty different.
Quote by Tackleberry
The FRs work best with the locking nut. And locking tuners wont get rid of the tedious process of putting new strings on the guitar. If it has a locking nut you would need to make some sort of adapter to put a regular nut in it as the slot for locking nut and regular nut are pretty different.

+1.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.