Page 1 of 2
Hey all
When im finished with school and uni im planning on ditching this country called Australia and moving to America. I dont know why it just came to me one day that i will make much more money there then i would here.
I want to live around the Mountain View area near San Francisco.
There would be lots of places around there where i could probably get a job because ive founf out there are lots of company head offices there and most of the companies have something to do with computers.

So being a computer loving kind of guy I figured after uni i would have a pretty good chance at some of the companies there like:
Adobe
Google My preffered one, $140,000 per year starting salary aint half bad)
Mozilla
Several microsoft divisions
Nokia

I plan on saving lots so i can afford to rent an apartment when i get there till i get a job.

Now, the real point of the thread,
how hard is it to do this?
What do you need to live and work in America?
How hard is it just to pack up and leave?
What sort of visa's do you need?

The main things that have attracted me to America are
Low prices of, well most things including guitar gear
The bigger population
The larger cities (I like big cities)
And just the fact that you dont have to learn a total different language

Thanks in advance pit,
Jake
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
Last edited by jake_1234 at Jul 31, 2008,
You're finished with 'achool'?

No you aren't.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
If millions of Mexicans can do it so easily, why not a white guy like yourself can?
My idiot thread sense is tingling, I got here as fast as I could!

Kid, think long and hard.

A $140,000 starting salary with Google when you've just finished school?

Funnily enough, they'll be after educated and experienced people.

Still, they might take you on as a tea boy.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
dude you will get so much poon when you come over here. u.s. girls love australian guys haha.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Dude do not move to america. It is an awful place. Australia looks sooo kick ass. Easily worth the more expensive stuff. America only has cheap stuff cus it is the root and master of all evil and it controls alot of big companies so they have more cash so they don't charge as much but lower prices also make quality less of an issue. I really have no position talking here cus I live in canada but I am a neighbor of an former american and he says its awful and to me australia looks seems like THE coolest place. OOO I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING!!! YOU SHOULD MOVE TO CANADA HAHAH jk.
For me, if moving three blocks away is hell on earth, I don't think things should be of relative ease for you.
Be a man.

Do the right thing.
Quote by metacarpi
My idiot thread sense is tingling, I got here as fast as I could!

Kid, think long and hard.

A $140,000 starting salary with Google when you've just finished school?

Funnily enough, they'll be after educated and experienced people.

Still, they might take you on as a tea boy.

Im not expecting a job like that the second i step off the plane!
Ill just get a job t make ends meet then look for a real job.

Ant to Inanezguitars44: Intriguing, very intriguing indeed.
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
Last edited by jake_1234 at Jul 31, 2008,
Come to Canada instead... health care?

Seriously we have a good life expectancy and 70% of health costs covered by us.
dude for real, you'd be coming at the completely wrong time, Im looking to Leave america I just dont know where to go, maybe Mexico, yeah I want to fit it wherever I go. I dont want to be the one mexican walking around downtown Paris.
What do you need? I'm assuming life will be pretty similar. If you wanna know what you need legally then you might wanna call the US embassy in Australia just to be sure. I'm assuming you'll need just a visa and that's about it. Also, San Fransisco is expensive. Most of the state of California is.

Make sure to save enough money for your expenses for about 6 months. I don't think you'll need to bring all your stuff with you. You might be able to find an apartment with furniture and stuff. Have your possessions shipped over once you're settled in.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
sounds good to me.

Do you need a green card or something though? like a working permit or something?
Quote by InanezGuitars44
dude you will get so much poon when you come over here. u.s. girls love australian guys haha.

What.....

*Buys one way ticket to LA*
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Try living on your own in your town for a while first, then you'll find if you can do it.

Don't run before you can walk.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by NightEmbers
dude for real, you'd be coming at the completely wrong time, Im looking to Leave america I just dont know where to go, maybe Mexico, yeah I want to fit it wherever I go. I dont want to be the one mexican walking around downtown Paris.

haha that made me laugh. But why Mexico?

Don't get me wrong, there's beautiful places there but unless you're living in some kind of tourist area it might be difficult to adjust to it. I know cuz i live right on the border with both Mexicos lol. Hah, and no i'm not racist as some of u might've been thinking

I'm Mexican too! Well... my parents are. I somehow ended up being light skinned and have a slight accent both in english and spanish. Also, my brother lives there and i've spent most of my summer and winter vacations there since i was 5.

It's like i don't belong anywhere
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Your 15? I think youve got another 3 years for it to even be legal...

Unfortunately chances are youre not going to find a very good job (lookup the average annual salary for kids at the age youll be)

But living in america im from new york and ive been thinking about moving to a far away state (florida) when i turn 18. basically doing the same thing you plan to do, its just a huge risk and a lot will involve luck. Still you got time to plan it out.
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0
One of my friends said to the principle once,
"NO! The voices tell me not to talk to you!" *Runs away on all fours*
The principle eventually caught up to him and gave him a drug test.
Last edited by Pr3vieWX360 at Jul 31, 2008,
Quote by Tster
sounds good to me.

Do you need a green card or something though? like a working permit or something?

Yes thats what i was wondering.
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
you're 15 years old, and youre trying to make plans for after uni.
you understand that once you're finished with uni, the youngest you could possibly be is 21, and thats if you take arts which is the shortest uni course. if you do something worthwhile, you'll be 22, 23 or 24. thats almost a decade.

once you get out of uni, do you think you just magically get offered a job? particularly with a foreign degree at companies which generally hire well trained employees who have been working in the industry for some time.

you have not thought this through, and you shouldnt be thinking it through. a billion things will change between now and 2017.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Quote by instagata0
you're 15 years old, and youre trying to make plans for after uni.
you understand that once you're finished with uni, the youngest you could possibly be is 21, and thats if you take arts which is the shortest uni course. if you do something worthwhile, you'll be 22, 23 or 24. thats almost a decade.

once you get out of uni, do you think you just magically get offered a job? particularly with a foreign degree at companies which generally hire well trained employees who have been working in the industry for some time.

you have not thought this through, and you shouldnt be thinking it through. a billion things will change between now and 2017.

+1

A voice of reason.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by Pr3vieWX360
Your 15? I think youve got another 3 years for it to even be legal...

Unfortunately chances are youre not going to find a very good job (lookup the average annual salary for kids at the age youll be)

But living in america im from new york and ive been thinking about moving to a far away state (florida) when i turn 18. basically doing the same thing you plan to do, its just a huge risk and a lot of it involves luck.

I will go and do uni in america if i can afford it because if i do i can live in cheap accomadation and get a taste of it lol.
But i dont think ill be able to afford that unless we win lottery.
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
Come to Canada instead... health care?

Seriously we have a good life expectancy and 70% of health costs covered by us.

yeah i change my mind. go to canada. ive been up there twice and its amazing. congratulations canadians, you live in an awesome place.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
dont! bad idea you are going the wrong way! we are in a reccession!(one smmall step below depresion) we got fires and earthquakes here in california, floods in the midwest which means food shortage, gas is insane and ppl are insane about gas! the ppl are rude our presidents a monkey and about to be a black guy! everybody on every corner will try to scam you, and you never know if somebody spit in your food. believe me. if your gunna move move to new zealand and join grean peace
Considering I'm guessing most people have never done this you are going to get a lot of **** advice.

I'm lived and worked in different parts of the country (australia) also overseas so while I not perfect I try to help you out.

Now, the real point of the thread,
how hard is it to do this?
What do you need to live and work in America?
How hard is it just to pack up and leave?
What sort of visa's do you need?

It's not hard to live in another country you need four basic things

1)return ticket, I say return cause if everything goes wrong you can still come home

2) Work visa. Look this up on google. What type visa?

How long do want to spend there?
What are you doing?

3) Cash, credit or a job? You need find the cost of living, and maybe four months worth of cash/credit.

4) A set of balls. Moving to another country with no support; family, friends is scary. You will be a long way from home.

optional travel insurance, this is a good one and something in retrospect I ombitted. If you get injury, sick, infected tooth in another country. You are ****ed. If it's something small it's okay. But america has no public healthcare and medicare doesn't care.

Apart from that be prepared.

I don't if this true but you seem like you have never really been away from home. If mental out here, making new friends, finding a job. It's also great fun.

I'd suggest ring these companies asking about intern type posistions. Say you want to get a feel for large siftware as well as small. Then get in they and work your ass off. If you are getting coffee grind the beans yourself. Ask a **** load of question try and help out. And then ask for a job. With little experience it hard to get your foot in the door. But once your in.

I'd also be prepared to look for smaller firms. They pay less but you can get more industry experience.

I'd also look at living a trailer backpackers etc til you get you bearings, then find a share house. Six month everything going rosie. FInd a place of your own.

How is it to pack and leave? depends of your personality. If you like things like christmas family geet together, going to bar every week. It will be move difficult then if your like me...an idiot. I just bought a plane ticket packed my **** and left. I had 600 and no return and no idea.

Good luck I hope I helped. If you have anymore questions just ask
"Alright. Who wants some? "
Quote by lithiumftw
dont! bad idea you are going the wrong way! we are in a reccession!(one smmall step below depresion) we got fires and earthquakes here in california, floods in the midwest which means food shortage, gas is insane and ppl are insane about gas! the ppl are rude our presidents a monkey and about to be a black guy! everybody on every corner will try to scam you, and you never know if somebody spit in your food. believe me. if your gunna move move to new zealand and join grean peace

Don't move to New Zealand? Why would anyone want to do that?

TS, try be realistic, even though you will have a degree, theres alot of other people who also have one, and experience. Finding a high paying job straight away is very unlikely.
i'm not sure about the US. but a guy i knew that was trying to get his canadian citizenship (he was from oregon i believe) had to spend thousands of dollars and wait like.. 3 years for all the paperwork and bull**** to go thru.

i'm unsure if he even has his citizenship yet, but he's lucky he can live with his gf otherwise he woulda starved to death long ago.

3 ****ing years of paperwork! keep in mind you're NOT allowed to work until you are a citizen.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Jul 31, 2008,
Quote by jake_1234
Hey all
When im finished with school and uni im planning on ditching this country called Australia and moving to America.

What is this mythical land of which you speak, sire? Australia? Nay, 'tis unheard of in these parts. Back to whence thou camest from, exotic stranger.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
What is this mythical land of which you speak, sire? Australia? Nay, 'tis unheard of in these parts. Back to whence thou camest from, exotic stranger.

Unheard of? We ditched all our criminals there! We definitely don't want them back though.

TS, get back in your cell!
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by Kivarenn82
i'm not sure about the US. but a guy i knew that was trying to get his canadian citizenship (he was from oregon i believe) had to spend thousands of dollars and wait like.. 3 years for all the paperwork and bull**** to go thru.

i'm unsure if he even has his citizenship yet, but he's lucky he can live with his gf otherwise he woulda starved to death long ago.

3 ****ing years of paperwork! keep in mind you're NOT allowed to work until you are a citizen.

I have an uncle who owned a demolition company in toronto for like 20 years without a citizenship.

I don't know what that means, but he did, lol.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
It'll be very hard to get into uni in the states straight out from high school. You probably will have to plan it about a year before you finish Australian high school (hsc, vce, whatever you have in your part of the country), so you can arrange equivalent entrance qualifications in the states.

Companies like google only take in uni students with very exceptional grades (talking about an HD average).

If you're really set on going to the states but still go to uni, i recommend an exchange program. Go on exchange for a semester or two (ends up costing about $10,000 a semester) and see if you like it. If you like what you see, try and take up an internship over there too in your degree of choice. If that internship goes well, stay for a graduate program or something, or apply to a uni for postgrad work...then you're pretty much there
I plan on doing this, too, after school. But to England, not America. And only for a year, then I'm coming back.
Why? Because Australia is pure kick ass and I don't think I could stay away.
Plus, the whole family and friends being here thing.

But, what I plan on doing is getting as much planned as possible before I get on the plane over there. Like, maybe a furnished apartment, so I'm not homeless, not even for a night.
Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

*smooths mair and straightens shirt*

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
t3gan and Bec > Tegan and Sara.
Quote by t3gan
I plan on doing this, too, after school. But to England, not America. And only for a year, then I'm coming back.
Why? Because Australia is pure kick ass and I don't think I could stay away.
Plus, the whole family and friends being here thing.

But, what I plan on doing is getting as much planned as possible before I get on the plane over there. Like, maybe a furnished apartment, so I'm not homeless, not even for a night.

t3gan? Coming to the UK?

Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

That does remind me, there should be another London meet sometime.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Goony is spot on. It's great to have, let's called it, wanderlust, but seriously, you need to take it easy and stop making plans that far into the future at your age.
Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

You've been sigged... This must be your, what? 700th sigging?

Hell yes.
Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
t3gan and Bec > Tegan and Sara.
Quote by t3gan
You've been sigged... This must be your, what? 7th sigging?

Hell yes.

A slightly more accurate statement now!

And yes, Break-Me-In there should be a meet up, I might actually get my ass in gear and get down.

Especially if it's organised in advance so I can get cheaper train tickets.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Page 1 of 2