Hey everyone

I was wondering what upgrades (other than new tuners) I could do on my Epi Les Paul Special 2. Any suggestions?

Thanks
jihedley
well it has a plywood body and a bolt on neck which is never going to be superb, so i wouldnt go to town on it.

new pickups are the first thing i'd think of, as long as you have a decent enough amp to notice the improvement

prolly the whole electronics in general, replace it with nice pots and wiring
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
yea, whats your amp, budget and playing styles?
Ive got a Fender Frontman 15g (getting upgraded as soon as possible), Ive got about £100 to play with and I play mostly Led Zep, guns n roses etc.
ah. tbh if i were you i'd put the money towards the amp. thats 75% of your tone right there, and if its the weak point in your setup, it really shows.

i'd say make a thread in gear and accessories when youre ready to get a new amp, and if youre still not happy, go for new pickups

you'll notice a 500% improvement with a good valve amp. i reccomend a Laney VC15. it'd nail led zep, GnR etc

im gonna upgrade mine too (now that i have another guitar), depending on what color yours is then i would suggest different things. But mines black, and im putting in new pups, switching the volume and tone pots hiding the tone one in the cavity and putting on a scratchplate. new pickup rings, new bridge, new tuners. yeah its easy to customise coz it has no arch so u can use sg, strat ect parts aswell
Gut it. new pickups and new wiring. just replace everything that's stock. that's what i did. plus i repainted mine.

GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Last edited by funguy at Jul 31, 2008,
Just dont spend lots of money on stuff that cant be recycled later. Pickups are good as they can be loaded into another guitar later.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Thanks everyone. I think I will see what I can do with mine. By the way BucketHayden how are you going to fill in the hole for tone pot? I was thinking about putting a pickguard on mine but I didnt know how I could fill in the hole. And also funguy, your pictures have not come out and I'd be quite interested to see them

Thanks
jihedley
Quote by jihedley
Thanks everyone. I think I will see what I can do with mine. By the way BucketHayden how are you going to fill in the hole for tone pot? I was thinking about putting a pickguard on mine but I didnt know how I could fill in the hole. And also funguy, your pictures have not come out and I'd be quite interested to see them

Thanks
jihedley

soz poorly linked on my side. they work now. neck and body are still the original. the painting looks very scratchy but i thought if i did it very neat I'd be too careful with it and it's a guitar to be used not looked at. I just hated the off white it was before (and before you say it was a guitar given to me by a mate for a very **** body and neck setup swap).
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Last edited by funguy at Jul 31, 2008,
Quote by XBertsBestBuddy
Why waist the money on it?!

you can make a decent guitar of it.
GEAR:
Marshall AVT 50x
Quote by funguy
you can make a decent guitar of it.

he should just save his money and buy a epi standard at least it whont be plywood. No matter how much money you throw in it, it can only get so much better. Ya know.
Quote by XBertsBestBuddy
he should just save his money and buy a epi standard at least it whont be plywood. No matter how much money you throw in it, it can only get so much better. Ya know.

true. i only spent an extra £50 Max (including repaint) on it, whilst using bits i had lying around.
GEAR:
Marshall AVT 50x
Quote by funguy
true. i only spent an extra £50 Max (including repaint) on it, whilst using bits i had lying around.

Yea I hear you I got a plywood strat body but I just use it to pratice modding on before I take it too one of my guitars, but like that guy said make sure to recycle parts.
really, put a new bridge on it, it'll increse sustain by a million times over..and new tuners too. thats the basics. some nice new pups will only add. depends on how much you want to dump into it.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by jihedley

Thanks
jihedley

because les paul pickguards go over where the volume pot is on a epi lp spec II, u switch them around (volume more important) and then hide the tone in the cavity where the wires are, and then the pickguard covers up the hole! works perfectly