So, my first guitar was a Slammer Pacer, it's a cheap strat copy. After I got my Ibanez, it hasn't received much attention, so I decided to make it fretless. I'll post pictures as soon as I find my camera, but it plays really cool.
I'm also planning on changing the pickups to something better, 3 single coils, what would you recommend? I'll be playing mostly jazzy and/or weird experimental stuff on it.

By the way, what can I use instead of tung-oil to oil the fretboard? I heard of lemon oil and beer, will it be OK?
Last edited by Goldenglove at Aug 1, 2008,
get some hot rails and what did u fill in the gaps with?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
i didnt think guitars worked without frets
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Hot rails for all positions? Sorry if I'm talking rubbish, but frankly, I haven't got the slightest amount of knowledge about singlecoil pickups=)
I haven't still filled them in, but I'm thinking about epoxy, I've seen a few self-made fretless guitars with epoxy in the gaps, and it was quite cool.

I actually used a can-opener to take out the frets. I was quite drunk=)
Quote by Vampire 255
i didnt think guitars worked without frets

Well, fretless basses are more common, I think, but guitars work fine. The sound is different though. I'm looking forward to writing some death metal stuff on it, just for fun.=)
Death metal on single coil? Now i've heard it all!
Quote by carcass255
long hair is cool mate

haircuts are for people in concentration camp
Quote by MangeRamone
Death metal on single coil? Now i've heard it all!

Well, Pungent Stench plays death metal on a Tele with Hot Rails. Not exactly a single coil though, I guess.
So, anyone know anything about using lemon oil and/or beer on a freshly lightly sanded fretboard?
So, here are the pics, sorry for the quality - the cheap camera has no working LCD
And the date is wrong too

The higher part of the neck, haven't widened the gaps yet

Filling the gaps with epoxy

Yup, it's gonna be sanded later

Btw, how do I rename threads?
Yuck... ugly fretboard... And you rename threads by editing the first post I believe.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Last edited by asfastasdark at Aug 1, 2008,
Yeah, I know it's ugly and gluey, but I've already tried sanding the first fret - it really removes all the mess.
Epoxy
Use wood filler.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by solid_moose
Epoxy
Use wood filler.

Why no? I've seen a bass with epoxy-filled gaps, everything was fine.
The thing I don't like about wood filler is that cheap wood filler starts getting cracks after a few months, and wood filler which last longer is way too expensive.
Yes, I would go with Epoxy over wood filler, we used to make wood filler in school by mixing sawdust and PVA - I think branded stuff is effectively a very similar type of thing only mixed properly and with additives etc. When Epoxy sets, it actually turns into a type of tough, hard plastic.
On the subject of neck finishes, I think it's common practice in bass de-fretting to just put Epoxy on the entire neck, as the finish ?
our bass player used wood filler.. things been around for a year and a half and has held up fine. IMO you couldve done a better job with the fret removal... the fretboard got pretty ugly. Otherwise, great job and epoxy does work just as well as wood filler. Plus, since youve pulled the frets off of the neck, you still have the markings so you know where your notes are. Very lovely.
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
Quote by vampwizzard
our bass player used wood filler.. things been around for a year and a half and has held up fine. IMO you couldve done a better job with the fret removal... the fretboard got pretty ugly. Otherwise, great job and epoxy does work just as well as wood filler. Plus, since youve pulled the frets off of the neck, you still have the markings so you know where your notes are. Very lovely.

Thanks, I know the fret removal job isn't exactly good, but I was drunk, it was the middle of the night, I had a Swiss Army knife lying near me and I just decided to defret my old guitar, so it was quite a spontaneous thing
I'll post pictures when I clean up the fretboard.
Right on man, im working on a fretless guitar now too! I filled my slots with some alder i had lying around and I put 7 or 8 coats of clear laquer on it, which is curing right now.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by walker-rose
Right on man, im working on a fretless guitar now too! I filled my slots with some alder i had lying around and I put 7 or 8 coats of clear laquer on it, which is curing right now.

What guitar was it originally? Good luck with your proj
Quote by Goldenglove
Well, I'm a bit scared of covering the whole neck in epoxy

Either epoxy the whole neck or poly it, otherwise the strings will eat up the fretboard.
Quote by hippiebass
Either epoxy the whole neck or poly it, otherwise the strings will eat up the fretboard.

And poly means....? So basically I just put on a thin layer of epoxy and than sand it a bit?
polyurethane. It's common practice when defreting basses otherwise roundwound bass strings will eat up you fretboard, not sure if the same goes for guitars, but you should probably do it anyway. It will be smooth and shiny
Jeez, I don't even know were to look for poly in Russia
I'm planning on flatwound strings, of course.
Quote by Goldenglove
What guitar was it originally? Good luck with your proj

It was originally a Epi LP special that i traded for my old Marshall MG30DFXCRDASDFA POS.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by walker-rose
It was originally a Epi LP special that i traded for my old Marshall MG30DFXCRDASDFA POS.

Must've been one hell of a Marshall
Quote by Goldenglove
Must've been one hell of a Marshall

Till it's a MG...it's one hell of a C R A P
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!