I'm going to try out amps today but I'm still very confused from what i read.
So I've narrowed it down to these three:
- VOX AD50VT
- Roland Cube 60
- Peavey Valveking 112
Main influences: David Gilmour; Kim Thayil

Help me decide, please
Well, I have never tried Vox and Peavey but I own a Roland Cube 60 and I can guarantee it's very good. It's loud, not noisy, it sounds good and it has plenty of effects.
What will you be playing?

The Vox will be better for light stuff
Valveking for mid-gain and some higher gain if you get an overdrive pedal as well
The Cube will be best for metal
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
**** that ****
get a half stack of marshals and you will never need another amp
you can gig with that **** or just practice
crank if up whenever you want
just save up for that
makes sense
Quote by sorrykid77
**** that ****
just save up for that
makes sense

he is looking for an amp priced around 400 and you recommend something that will be 1500-2500?

epic fail
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by sorrykid77
**** that ****
just save up for that
makes sense

*facepalm*

Not sure about Gilmour but the guitarist from Soundgarden uses Vox amps. Getting that and an overdrive pedal might help you get a close tone to him. Only problem is that it isn't completely tube; you could go ahead and save up for a Vox Custom Classic AC15 to get a much better tone.

Last edited by evening_crow at Jul 31, 2008,
Quote by BluBluBlu
How would the Vox sound with an MT-2?

Not very good imo.

If you're looking for a tone similar to the artists u mentioned you'll probably be better off with a tube screamer or some other overdrive. I've heard that Digitech's Bad Monkey is very good despite it's low price (40 dollars i believe?).

Quote by evening_crow
Not very good imo.

If you're looking for a tone similar to the artists u mentioned you'll probably be better off with a tube screamer or some other overdrive. I've heard that Digitech's Bad Monkey is very good despite it's low price (40 dollars i believe?).

so one of those would sound good with the vox?
Quote by BluBluBlu
so one of those would sound good with the vox?

I'm pretty sure it should. Now, that's if you get a tube amp. The overdrive will push the tubes and saturate the sound for that thick, creamy od. I'm not quite sure how well it'll sound with the other Vox though but it'll still sound better than using the MT-2 with it since the pedal is aimed at metal.

TS, if you're gonna get the vox valvetronix model, don't get a tubescreamer. it doesn't have the same effect as using it on a tube amp's dirty channel. you're better off stickin' with just the built in distortion models.

and to clarify, the vox valvetronix is NOT only good for 'light stuff' it is good for everything up to hard rock. it can do metal but doesn't excel at it, just get's by. if you need more higher gain tones than mid or low gain, then get the cube.

or if you decide to get the vox AC15 then go ahead and get an overdrive pedal.

simply put, do NOT buy stombox distortion/overdrive pedals for modelling amps like the Vox Valvetronix and Cube amps, it get's VERY messy.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
TS, if you're gonna get the vox valvetronix model, don't get a tubescreamer. it doesn't have the same effect as using it on a tube amp's dirty channel. you're better off stickin' with just the built in distortion models.

and to clarify, the vox valvetronix is NOT only good for 'light stuff' it is good for everything up to hard rock. it can do metal but doesn't excel at it, just get's by. if you need more higher gain tones than mid or low gain, then get the cube.

or if you decide to get the vox AC15 then go ahead and get an overdrive pedal.

simply put, do NOT buy stombox distortion/overdrive pedals for modelling amps like the Vox Valvetronix and Cube amps, it get's VERY messy.

That's kinda what i said. The Valvetronix can get dirty but that's due to the fact that it's a modeling amp. I mentioned using an od for the AC15 for getting the Soundgarden sound (i doubt the amp can pull it off by itself).

The Vox Valvetronix is a really good solid state amp but it won't do Metal. The Cube does much higher gain, is better built in my opinion and is a bit cheaper but it lacks the valve warmth of the Vox. Personally I think the Cube is the better amp but for Gilmour material you may disagree. The Valve King left me rather cold. It's good I suppose compared to the others you're looking at but it's weak compared to many other valve amps. That said, it is cheap for a valve amp. If you were looking at a valve amp, I'd either get something better that was used or maybe look at a Laney VC30 with a decent pedal. You can pick up the Laney for less than £300 (just) and it has an excellent reputation; certainly better than the Peavey and for similar money. A final point (because this used to confuse me) a 30w valve amp will easily outpower a 60w solid state amp so don't think it will be down on power compared to the Cube or Vox, the Laney will be far more powerful than either of them.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1