Hai guise, I'm building a website for my local sustainable energy group, but I haven't built any websites for a long time - and even they were very small, simple projects for a Yr 9 IT course. I'm investigating site building software and the two I'm thinking of using are Joomla and Dreamweaver. Anyone got experience with these, specifically the former? Or can anyone recommend any other apps?

Cheers.
joomla is a data handler thingy,

it helps you run stuff like forums and anything.

but can't help you with dreamweaver.. i hand code
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
dreamweaver can be very very easy to use, or very very hard to use, it really depends on how complex the site is going to be, how much experience/understanding you have and how much time you have! i personally love it, its expensive though... maybe get a copy and just play around and see what you think, thats the only way to make your mind up
ive used dreamweaver before. Its not too hard to get to grips with and you can get some decent results.
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
Is DW capable of building/managing forums as well, or is it purely a web builder? The site is only going to be small, with a target audience of about 100 people, most of whom will know about the site by word of mouth, and without bells and whistles such as flash, etc.
dreamweaver + HTML and Java script skills = unlimited power.

seriously, use dreamweaver, but also code the thing at the same time. DW is awesome for getting things like graphics and tables to look right, and to be able to instantly see what your changes are, but having coding skills is always going to make things go faster.
I hate making websites...

DW is reasonably easy, but I find sometimes it's almost impossible to make it do what you want.

Hand coding is so boring

Flash is the only one I get any pleasure out of using. And only when I get to make something interesting.

And in response to the actual question. Don't know about Joomla, DW is reasonably good. Download them and have a play before you do it maybe?
I have no coding skills to speak of. I use MATLAB occasionally for experiments, but that's the limit of my programming abilities. I don't know how long it takes to pick up any proficiency in such fields, but to give people an idea of the timeframe, I need to have this site running by the end of September, but its a very SMALL site and aimed at people in their middle ages. I'm not expecting to use any sort of Java or coding at all, simply because it isn't needed.
I hate making websites...

DW is reasonably easy, but I find sometimes it's almost impossible to make it do what you want.

Hand coding is so boring

Flash is the only one I get any pleasure out of using. And only when I get to make something interesting.

And in response to the actual question. Don't know about Joomla, DW is reasonably good. Download them and have a play before you do it maybe?

Yes, good advice, doing that now
I know alot about sustainable energy, let me know if you need help with that =)
Joomla is a content management system. Dreamweaver generates code for you based on a WYSIWYG interface. 2 totally different things.

I use Dreamweaver, but only in code view. You can make pretty basic sites easily in Dreamweaver in the design view though so that would probably be your best bet.
Quote by octopec
I know alot about sustainable energy, let me know if you need help with that =)

Awesome! I will at some point, since when I've finished my Engineering degree, I might want to go into alternative energy sources for Aircraft.

Oh, and thanks guys, you've already ben a big help
Quote by Calabur
You already have all the tools you need, notepad and a keyboard.

And the coding knowledge.

Oh, wait...

Have I not already mentioned this? I don't know any HTML, or sufficiently little that I don't have time to learn enough to produce evena simple, yet professional site. That's why I'm interested in site building software. Notepad and a keyboard is no good for me, since I don't have the time to learn.

Quote by LordBishek

And the coding knowledge.

Oh, wait...

Have I not already mentioned this? I don't know any HTML, or sufficiently little that I don't have time to learn enough to produce evena simple, yet professional site. That's why I'm interested in site building software. Notepad and a keyboard is no good for me, since I don't have the time to learn.

firstly javascript has nothing to do with java the programming language.javascript is mainly for validation purposes.it's not a standalone language.(validation as in the error message boxes when you dont fill in a necessary field for instance)its pretty handy.
apart from that, a little knowledge in html will take you a long way, give it 2 hours,and, youll be pretty decent with it.its that simple.
here's a pretty cool tutorial check it- http://www.tizag.com/htmlT/
Last edited by fastcar at Jul 31, 2008,
BTW LordBishek, based on my love for the other 2 bands in your sig, I checked out Kaki King. She's awesome, so well done sir! You have outstanding taste.
Dreamweaver is shit...it produces crappy code IMO. Get something free like HTML-Kit and learn HTML. It's not bloody difficult.
firstly javascript has nothing to do with java the programming language.javascript is mainly for validation purposes.it's not a standalone language.(validation as in the error message boxes when you dont fill in a necessary field for instance)its pretty handy.
apart from that, a little knowledge in html will take you a long way, give it 2 hours,and, youll be pretty decent with it.its that simple.
here's a pretty cool tutorial check it- http://www.tizag.com/htmlT/

Thank you, I'm checking that tutorial out now. And thanks again for pointing out the distinction, I hadn't realised that.

BTW LordBishek, based on my love for the other 2 bands in your sig, I checked out Kaki King. She's awesome, so well done sir! You have outstanding taste.

Well done, Sir! I discovered her when she was supporting JBT in Liverpool, hence why I got interested. Also, if you want, I can point you in the direction of some concerts on Archive.org where she joins him onstage to accompany his music with her slide guitar.

Dreamweaver is shit...it produces crappy code IMO. Get something free like HTML-Kit and learn HTML. It's not bloody difficult.

That's a criticism that the wikipedia article threw up as well, regarding DW. However, I don't know how much the site will be affected, given that it will only be about 20 pages in total, most of which will be a single template page repeated over and over again. In this case, would bloated code be so much of an issue? I could understand a large or media heavy site needing to streamline their code, but if it just means an extra couple of seconds on load times, I probably won't be too bothered.
Quote by LordBishek
Well done, Sir! I discovered her when she was supporting JBT in Liverpool, hence why I got interested. Also, if you want, I can point you in the direction of some concerts on Archive.org where she joins him onstage to accompany his music with her slide guitar.

If you would be so kind.