Hi, i would like a new bridge humbucker for my dean z79, mahogany body with maple top, set neck, rosewood fretboard, thru body stringing.

the one in there is a stock dean pickup and its a little weak, fizzy and boring.

I play a lot of metal, both modern and older. i also like warmer vintage tubey overdrive styles.

I want something punchy and fairly aggressive. but also something that can sound smooth and sing. great cleans from the bridge pickup are not essential to me. i was thinking of going alnico 5 or 2 rather than ceramic to help round of the top end sizzle.
I think a pickup with a flat eq may be good but not sure.

my amp is a cube 30x.

any ideas?

also a neck pickup suggestion to go with the bridge would be good.

p.s Bareknuckle, swineshead and other hand made expensive pickups are our of my price range. i am looking to spend £40 round about at the minute but will consider anything
Last edited by Sepulturick at Aug 1, 2008,
New pickups with a SS amp are usually little help. Especially if you're trying to achieve something simulating tube overdrive. Your best bet is probably to save for a better amp.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Something 14K with alnico 5 would be good for you. Seymour Duncan's custom 5 is a good place to start looking if you are in the states but my warm heritage would give you better frequency responce. Anything hand wound will have a much better EQ with less tonal spikes. If you are in the UK then I'm probably the best bang for your buck anyway.

Edit: sorry, I didn't see that last bit about only spending 40 quid. I don't think you are going to find something worth having at that price. If you bridge it up 10 quid then I could help you but it'll still only get you a bridge pickup. Spending less money and getting poor quality parts doesn't really count as upgraiding. I think that you really should hold off and save some money.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 31, 2008,
^If CorduroyEW suggests a pickup, you don't need anymore help.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...