I was having a discussion with a friend who does not play an instrument and we got onto a topic of what music is more about in terms of learning an instrument, so I pose this same question to you:
when it comes to learning an instrument, can a person who has no talent actually learn an instrument by sheer determination alone? or does the person have to be talented at music before hand?

Personally I'm banking on the side of determination because I have the hand eye co-ordination of a gnat and musically I'm not tone deaf but I definitely am no savant when it comes to music.
what do you all think?
Talent helps but you can be determined enough to get okay at it.

However. I know someone who can pick up something new and instantly be amazing at it. Not limited to instruments.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
id say determination would move u foward and with alot of determination u develop talent!! so i guess skill got nothing to do its how much hours u put in
well unfortunataly for me i have no talent and am deaf in the left ear so for me it was iron hard determenation to get adept at the guitar but talent makes the work easier
Determination. Although, some people seem to possess anti-talent, which makes it seemingly impossible for them to learn anything.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Well...

...talent.

If you don't have talent, then it'll take forever to get good at an instrument.

There are some people I know who have been playing for longer than I have, and I can totally PWN them at guitar.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
Generally people who have a natural ear for music, i.e. naturally talented are going to be the better musicians. I's all good and well being determined to learn an instrument and become great at that instrument, but this won't necessarily make you a great musician.

But nutural talent is nothing without determination. So I'll go for determination!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Determination is more important in learning to play an instrument. Playing an instrument is a set of motor skills.

Learning to be a good musician takes talent.

Seconded. I had enough determination to learn the instrument well technically and theory wise, but my music would never be there without the talent.
Quote by buddha
isnt there a law against not shaving? thats somewere in our constitution. i think it goes something like a girl maybe be a freak in the sheets but no be wild down stairs is treason and for that she will be beheaded.-good old Benjamin F.

i can get good at things really easily (don't know why but it just happens) when i was little i used to play the violin and when i got bored of it i self taught myself for half a year and got good pretty quick. my friend started a year before me and is now 2 grades behind me. i guess you have to practice what you are told to practice and nail technique because my friend has been on grade 4 for 1 year because he practices irrelevant things.
Quote by Crazymike100
Well...

...talent.

If you don't have talent, then it'll take forever to get good at an instrument.

There are some people I know who have been playing for longer than I have, and I can totally PWN them at guitar.

Maybe you just practise more. Some people barely practise their instruments.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
It's easy to learn an instrument, it's difficult to become a musician.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by gm jack
Maybe you just practise more. Some people barely practise their instruments.

Maybe, I don't think so, though.
Motivation beats class, I get that proven all the time.

But yeah, motivation/determination will only take you that far. To become truly great, you will need some real talent.
Passion > Talent

If you have no passion in what your'e playing and can't feel the music, it's going to take a lot longer (IMO).

Having the determination is great, but deep down you have to just know you'll be insanely good one day. It's hard to explain but personally i don't think anybody is "naturally" good at something, certain people pick things up easier maybe because theyr'e more confident in themselves.

So many people say about how you must be born with a gift and that they could never pick up a guitar as well as you or your friends have. But thats the strange thing about it, they never had high ambitions when they started learning and always put it down to them starting at an older age or whatever.

So just belive you'll get as good as you want to be (with passion and a lot of hard work ) and anyone can make it

Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
Quote by Freepower
Determination is 99% of being good/successful.

Maybe in the business portion of it, but playing the instrument is 40% talent, 40% passion, and 20% determination.
There is no such thing as talent.

only doing something over and over and over until you can do it without thinking, so it looks like it comes very natural to you.

and remember lots of things use similar muscle groups that playing guitar does, so people who are good at certain things may look like they're a 'natural' at playing guitar, but they've just developed those muscle groups a bit more then most people. typing comes into mind
Quote by Bowe
There is no such thing as talent.

only doing something over and over and over until you can do it without thinking, so it looks like it comes very natural to you.

and remember lots of things use similar muscle groups that playing guitar does, so people who are good at certain things may look like they're a 'natural' at playing guitar, but they've just developed those muscle groups a bit more then most people. typing comes into mind

Being fast at typing doesn't mean you know what to type.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
Being fast at typing doesn't mean you know what to type.

but its a good start

and eventually, even the stupidest of people will learn, that if you first press the 'B' button, then the 'O' button then the 'O' button again, and then the 'B' button again, and then an 'S' then the word 'boobs' will come up on the screen.

everything is about experience, granted some people are able to take in those experiences faster then others

do you think Beethoven came out of the womb humming moonlight sonata?

a thousand monkeys working at the thousand typewriters and all that...
I think Dr. Phil pretty much said it all in the first reply, but yeah, determination is more important up to a certain point, but you won't become Jimi Hendrix from determination
one of my friends has been playing a year longer than I have and plays more than I do, but I'm still a little better than him, so talent does play a part and I really feel like a cocky assohole for saying that, but it's true
crit my song too pleeaaasse click on my profile, I just put it up last night
I am coining new words like 'misunderstanding' and 'Hispanically'

"Civilization is unbearable, but it is less unbearable at the top"
-Timothy Leary

crit my songs (click on my profile)
Someone who is determined can learn to play an instrument, but some one who is talented will be able to take things to another level and be creative with it.
I don't think that it takes talent to develop technique on an instrument, but to be a good musician you need to have a good ear for music, and some people are just born musically inclined in that respect.