I've just been ofered the oportunity to buy a pretty cheap Marshall AVT150H head and cab!
I've been playing for some years and the band that i'm in is just about to start gigging, but i've only ever played smaller amps (currently a Fender Princeton 65w) so basically i'm just looking for a bit of advice on whether this is a decent amp or not! The other option i have is an Epiphone so cal 50 w head and cab. Any comments are welcome!
Thanks for reading and taking the time to reply to a guy who is starting out on what i think is a great circle!
Dead Cardigans
the so cal is far nicer. but it's still more or less a budget tube amp. unless you can get it really cheap (under £300 for the halfstack, preferably under £200), i wouldn't bother either.

how cheap is cheap (for the avt)? what's your budget?

what music do you play?

what's your current guitar and amp etc.?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have an AVT100 combo.
It's fine for gigging, and i was really happy with it when i first got it.
But i'm getting bored with its tone now - it's really plain. Its also got a bit of a dodgy input jack... but i've seen other marshalls with this problem... the screw becomes loose if you knock it while theres a lead in. once the input jack fell back into the amp and i had to open the amp to sort it out. Wasn't a big deal but its annoying.

The AVT does nicely for heavy stuff and its got an alright clean channel. I find that its sometimes a bit muddy.

I've got no experience of the epiphone amp so i cant give an opinion on that.

It does depend alot on the style of music you want to play.

I've probably made the AVT sound bad, but its not. It's fine for gigging, but I'm just tired of the sound and I plan on upgrading to something better.
Hey dave
Thanks for the input! I play alternative/grunge (weezer, vines, etc). Currently i'm playing through a Fender Princeton 65w and a Epiphone Les Paul Custom. The price tag on the AVT is 200 quid but that only for the half cab.
Again, thanks for the input!
take it easy
Dead Cardigans
i'm trying to think of something for £200 which would be much better, to be honest. you can get a laney vc15 for about £215, but that might not be a high enough wattage for gigging. the vc30 is £300, i think. if you're willing to go second-hand, you might manage one for £200. they're quite vintage-sounding, though, you'd ideally need to try one to see if it's suited to what you want.

failing that, a vox valvetronix (one of the higher wattag ones) might be worth considering.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
cheers dave! I'll keep looking but i mentioned that i was shopping around and asking for advice about amps and the owner of the avt said i could have it 150 now cause its taking up too much room in his new house! I think i'll have it!
Keep on Rocking
Dead Cardigans
yeah, £150 isn't that bad a price for the avt150 halfstack. i managed to sell my avt100 combo for £180 in a local shop.

i still don't think it's a great amp... but at that price, if you decide later that you don't like it, you should be able to sell it on for no loss, if not even a slight profit (assuming it's in good nick).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?