Does anyone else get bored of always hearing the same major and minor chord progressions?

I do and its making song writing hard. Has anyone got any suggestions of interesting chords to spice up my songs or chords that work well together other than the usual bland sequences.

Im already a fan of sus2 and sus4 chords. Any ideas?

Cheers

Ryan
Hi Ryan,

Learn how to construct extended chords.

Minor 11's
Maj 9's
Maj 9#11's
Minor 13's

They add more flavour to your regular minor and major chords. Hopefully others will write in to explain this for you as I haven't really got time atm.
Power chords!
Seriously though, everybody loves the odd Major 7th chord every now and then, not sure if it'd be your style seeing as you have an X in your name. Yeah, maybe just power chords :P
i dont know the names of most of the chords i use in my own music, ive looked some of them up on like chordfinder and most of them either had some ridiculously long name or nothing came up. just experiment with differant combinations of notes, try using lots of open strings, etc. it sounds 10x more original than ergular chords and its more interesting than just learning names for specific ones.
I came across this the other day

e|-0--
b|-3--
g|-0--
d|-4--
a|-2--
e|----

It was described as a Bm(b6) and used the in Key of G major
It sounds really nice fingerpicked.
Si
i really like this one, so i throw it in every once in a while

e|-0--
b|-0--
g|-2--
d|-3--
a|-2--
e|-0--
i just love XMaj7#11 Chords.. they sound mysterious..
for example,Fmaj7#11:
Quote by becker89
for example,Fmaj7#11:

Play the E chord, then ^ that, then move that shape up two frets to G. Then back down again. Instant Spanish sound!
Last edited by mdc at Jul 31, 2008,
my favorite chord is the major 7th. sixths are nice. minor seven, minor eleven. major ninth, 6/9, the possibilities are endless dude
Anything funky with sevenths and so on just adds loads of flavor to the chord you're already playing. It helps if you understand chord construction and can relate all the chord tones to the major scale, as you can get the right notes in (instead of playing, say, a Em/maj7 in G major).
Quote by becker89
for example,Fmaj7#11:

How about this voicing? - Cmaj13#11

Quote by WishfulShredder
I cant help laughing if you put it that way

^ Sex on the brain