ok so here's the deal if been playing guitar for a year and a half and just a few weeks ago I had the idea of building a guitar. I was looking at those saga kits and decided I'm gunna get the strat. I know they are not the bestquality but iheard they are more or less a dece t place To start on building a guitar. I figure I'm going to replace the tuners and pickups.

1. Can anyone reccommnd a good prewired pickguard
2. Good tuners
3. Do I sand the body before painting, doest it come unfinished

Thanks in advance
OK well Does anyone know if a goloth locking tuner http://store.guitarfetish.com/gostbllotutr.html will fit right in the holes predrilled in the saga?
I think i will just roll with stock pickups for a while (they can always be replaced later on)...
And on a cosmetic side: WHat color pickguard would go best with black and yellow frankenstrat stripes... WHite or black?

and can you just spray paint a pickguard or will it peel off the plastic?
I think black might look better and in that case maybe i would be better off just buying a prewired black pickguard.
I'm having trouble deciding =\

are the guitarfetish prewired's even that much better than the stock pickups?

how does this look http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Licensed-Loaded-Strat-Pickguard-Mighty-Rails_W0QQitemZ370070931061QQihZ024QQcategoryZ41424QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

by the way i play- classic rock, some metal, semi-newer stuff(weezer, greenday)
Last edited by vXFuryXv at Jul 31, 2008,
No, the prewired ones are pretty crappy pickups.

I don't think you can just spraypaint a pickguard, it'd probably peel off.
No idea about the tuners. Get measurements of both the tuners and the headstock holes from the suppliers - that will give you your answer.

BTW, something to consider, not everyone uses the exact same pattern of pickguard screws - meaning not all pickguards will fit every guitar without modification. Look into that.
thanks alot you have answered all of my questions
I am still open for more suggestions
1) Sperzel locking tuners are the best locking tuners IMO

2) I wouldn't be spending too much - as you aren't going to get a great result! (having said that it's still not a bad way to learn about refinishing - which is the toughest part of assembling a guitar!)

3) Don't sand the body of a Saga kit if you don't know what you are doing - it'll cause you a world of pain. They appear to be sealed with Sanding sealer, so you can apply your finish (other then dyes etc) over the top.

I built a Saga telecaster here
Last edited by mark_wuk at Aug 1, 2008,
Yah I know its not going to be a great result, it's a learning experience more than anything.
And your right spending a lot of money on it doesn't make much sense.
I'm gonna just put it together with whats included and replace what i feel should be replaced.

wish me luck
Quote by vXFuryXv
Yah I know its not going to be a great result, it's a learning experience more than anything.
And your right spending a lot of money on it doesn't make much sense.
I'm gonna just put it together with whats included and replace what i feel should be replaced.

wish me luck

smart call, I've built two of these kits, and with the poor playability and super ugly finish you're bound to create on your first few tries (we all ruin our first paintjobs). You are much better off just sticking with the stock parts.

If, after you've built one of these, you want to spend more money and have a very playable guitar that comes with nice parts you could look at the Carvin kits. They are the exact same thing but nice. I haven't built one yet, but I'm probably going to pick one up this fall.

Also, read, reread, and reread some more all the info on painting you can find here on UG. Finish work is by far the hardest part about solid body guitar building IMO, and definately the hardest part about assembling a kit.

good luck and have fun!
OK well I am about to order, I just wanted to thank everyone for fast and speedy replies and i hope to post post picture of progress