I have been playing for 7 or 8 months with my starter pack and its time to move on. Im looking for a new guitar and amp. Ill spend anything below $1000 on the guitar and less than $400 on the amp. Musically i like to play 80s music. Guns and roses, acdc, def leppard, scorpions, van halen, and such. Im still leanrign and my knowledge is very limited.
I just picked up 1 of these used the other day. Pretty nice for the money.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Hardtail-Select-Electric-Guitar?sku=519946

Might want to take a look at 1 of these

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-POD-XT-Live-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Pedal?sku=150394

Then a clean tube amp or 1 with an fx loop
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by SaltyFishBreath
I have been playing for 7 or 8 months with my starter pack and its time to move on. Im looking for a new guitar and amp. Ill spend anything below $1000 on the guitar and less than $400 on the amp. Musically i like to play 80s music. Guns and roses, acdc, def leppard, scorpions, van halen, and such. Im still leanrign and my knowledge is very limited.

Use about $700 on the guitar and the REST on the amp. Look into some schecters, they come with decent stock pickups.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
OTher than Kramer? Maybe a Jackson DK2, or an Ibanez (make sure you get an Ibanez that is about $200 cheaper so you can replace the Edge III with an OFR) RG. Or, You could get an Ibanez S320.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
yea i was lookign at the Jackson DK2M, if i went kramer it owuld probably be the striker, since its only 250 i would have money to add to it, what could i do to get it to play better?
I don't know if an OFR or any decent LFR fits in that cavity. That Kramer is basically wired HH-H-H. I don't understand it my self.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
hay hold the train. you have all missed something really important here.

dude you need to spend more cash on your amp and LESS on your guitar.

the amp is 70% of your tone. it will make the biggest differnce.

and remember the most peopel can do for you here is point u in the right direction

good luck man
gear4music indianapolis // Blackstar HT-1R Metal
Here are a few choices:

http://www.fullersguitar.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,1770/category_id,4/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,42/vmcchk,1/

http://www.chucklevins.com/inv.asp?d=guitars&sd=electric&b=Charvel&n=2152

Or if you want a custom guitar you're able to choose options on check out a Carvin.

www.Carvin.com

Used is the best option though, find someone more experienced than yourself to help you look around locally.

As far as amps, I'd suggest you look for a used Line 6 Flextone III, or Line 6 Duoverb.
If I'd only had one back in the 80's.

http://line6.com/duoverb/features.htm
Get a Valveking 112. I believe they are around $400, which I think is pretty reasonable for an all tube amp. Have you looked at the Epiphone Prophecy EM-2's? I believe the EM-2 FX comes with an OFR.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
yea i did see the prophecy, i think i spend most of th emoney on the amp thoguh and go with the kramer FR 422 sm
Well, that prophecy I mentioned is $400, so there's still quite a bit left in your budget.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Look for a 30 watt tube amp

With a tube amp, 30 watts is all you need for small gigs.

EDIT: Wait, I just remembered the Valvekings. Look at the Valveking 112 Combo. It's 50W for around 400 bucks. Sounds perfect for you.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Quote by SaltyFishBreath
wat about like an epiphone lp or sg?

I own an epiphone sg 400, its a good guitar, but you could get something much better for a few more bucks. I agree saying a Kramer would be good.

Also, Line 6 amps suck ass, dont make the same mistake I did in getting one.
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
Also, Line 6 amps suck ass, dont make the same mistake I did in getting one.

This is an asinine statement. Thats like saying ALL muslims are terrorists.

If you had a old spider maybe it sounds like ****e to you, but I know a lot of people who love their Vettas ,HD147s and so on.

This is the problem with free speech, 14 year olds expressing their opinions on something they know little about.