..i only really play muse anymore? the way my listening habits have been lately, i really find myself listening only to muse. chris' lines are just right around my skill level, interesting, and musically this band is amazing. if i'm ever in a serious band, it would be a 3 piece, and influenced heavily by muse.

i'm fully aware i'm on chris w.'s nuts, but i was just wondering if its bad or anything that muse is the overwhelming majority of what i play.

the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
You need variety, i've been in situations when all I wanted to do was play one band or one type of music but half the time I ended up over doing it and got sick of some of my favourites bands and couldn't listen to them, there is such a thing as a musical OD.
if it makes you happy then keep playing muse, but you won't really progress if you don't challenge yourself
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Yeah i'd say its ok if your not in a band, but if you ever plan to be get some variety. My friends have a band and the lead singer wants them all to sound exactly like another band. And none of the band members can play to their potential because he's a douche who thinks he knows everything about music even though hes really not good at anything. Anyways he's always telling the band members what to do, when in all reality every time the do a battle of the bands and get critiqued by the judges they say he is the one who needs to change and that everything needs to be more lively. Basically what im saying is if you only listen to 1 band then you will want to be that band. It can really hinder you musically.
i think it might be a passing phase
i had exactly such a phase with sting's music, sometime later with candlemass and then with dream theater
but such obsessions have only made me more open to music , imo youll get over it and become more mature if you join a stable group... once music becomes your profession, youll most probably be playing an immense variety of music as muse themselves do
Their lines are right around your skill level, so you sit on them, you're comfortable.

As a musician, whenever I find myself getting too comfortable with what I'm playing, too "on top of it", I push for something different. Something more difficult, or something just different. I jam along to jazz or funk if I get too complacent when rocking the heavy metal, hit the blues when I find myself automatically breaking out grungy lines. If I find myself too comfy on bass, I go try the keyboard or guitar for a while. Keep myself on my toes.

Not saying what you're doing is bad, if you just wanna play Muse or Muse-esque stuff, then fair play to ya. But if I found myself doing it, I'd give myself a kick in the ass and get moving again.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
You'll get over it soon, just like all the people on here with usernames mentioning bands they can't stand any more.

I bought Origin the week of its release, listened to it constantly for months and have never really listened to them since. It was after my Green Day and Korn phases and before my Queens of the Stone Age phase

I don't really get that any more and it's made me a much better musician and a much better music listener!
Musical diversity in both playing and listening is really key to becoming a better musician. As a bass player, it will give you more opportunities for playing and be beneficial in helping you develop your own style and sound.

I came to bass as mainly a "rock" player, but forays into funk and now deeply into jazz have started to shape my style beyond being a good "cover song" bass player. Its also given me the opportunity to play with some really great musicians in different jams and situations. I like to believe its also made me a more versatile musician.
Quote by smb
You'll get over it soon, just like all the people on here with usernames mentioning bands they can't stand any more.

I bought Origin the week of its release, listened to it constantly for months and have never really listened to them since. It was after my Green Day and Korn phases and before my Queens of the Stone Age phase

I don't really get that any more and it's made me a much better musician and a much better music listener!

I still love The Cure

Though obviously it´s not the only thing I listen to.
I could listen to Muse or Cream all day long.

I play in a 10 piece country and preclassic rock band right now.
I play in a 3-4 piece gospel band at home.
it gives me something other than roots and walking to run off of.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by forstringwonder
..i only really play muse anymore? the way my listening habits have been lately, i really find myself listening only to muse. chris' lines are just right around my skill level, interesting, and musically this band is amazing. if i'm ever in a serious band, it would be a 3 piece, and influenced heavily by muse.

i'm fully aware i'm on chris w.'s nuts, but i was just wondering if its bad or anything that muse is the overwhelming majority of what i play.

I love Muse, but you need variety.
I used to REALLY love QOTSA, but i listend to them so much that i didnt want to hear them anymore. After i got into bands like Rush, Radiohead and RHCP, I started to listen to them again because I had more variety and felt more refreshed to their stuff.

I dont think i know what im talking about these days. Summer makes my brain turn to mush
You stole my Overture
I don't know, I'm sure there are a lot of people heavily into just the one band, although I can't really think of any good arguments for it from a musician's standpoint.

I used to really love appetite for destruction buy guns n roses, I only put it on once in a while now and skip "sweet child of mine" and "paradise city", But it still gives me the odd chill down my spine! But I haven't really been obsessed with just the one band since - I don't really go through phases or anything like that, though I'm sick of bohemian rapsody despite it being amazing, I've just heard it too many times.
Quote by forstringwonder
if i'm ever in a serious band, it would be a 3 piece, and influenced heavily by muse.

That's not a problem. I often play Rush, Muse and Cream with a keyboardist, and that makes a 4 piece.