yes, this is the millionth thread about this, but what i wanna know i don't think has been answered before, atleast i couldnt find it..

so..

i did the "1st fret and 17th fret" test type thing, and had no gap at the 8th fret
according to a couple of sources the neck is too flat and the truss rod should be turned slightly counter clock wise
(fret buzz was my initial problem btw)
now my problem was, i was literally about to do it, i had the L-shaped thing in the truss rod, tried to turn it counter clockwise (according to my ibanez manual this is to loosen it)
welllll, it didnt want to turn, so i stopped and came here, it felt like it was gonna break before it would turn.. is this normal? sorry, i'm kinda paranoid about damaging the guitar so i didnt wanna force it..

thanks for any help/adivce
sometimes loosening the strings first helps. (just a little)

sometimes turning Clockwise for a small bit, to get it going, then turning in the correct direction + the additional clockwise turn, is the best way to get a stubborn nut moving.

make sure the guitar is in tune as it rests, after the adjustment.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
ah cheers
that sounds like it could work

so im being paranoid? the fact that it's hard to turn in the correct direction doesnt mean im gonna break it if i do it?

i mean, even if i took it to a pro, they'd have to 'force it' a little too, right?
i have a martin that i'm always more careful with as compaired to my others.

and darned if that truss rod nut doesnt stick sometimes.

in my head i know it can take it, but it's still hard to force that turn.

sometimes, turning in the opposite direction first, assures you that you are not at the end of the screw thread, about to do some damage.

a pro will force it. but yes, there is a lot of security in knowing that if he messes up, you'll have someone to answer for it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

if you are loosening the rod then in shoulnt be so hard
do you hear any cracking noises while trying to move the key?
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
oh you genious!
it turned!

actually wasnt that bad, i guess youre right about the mental thing

thanks!

edit: guy above, yeah turns out it wasnt too hard to do, i was just scared lol

edit 2:

i moved it 1/8 of a turn which seems safe.. if i wanna do it more, how safe is it to go to?

edit 3: that question was virtually answered already lol
Last edited by adr11iano at Jul 31, 2008,
ok dont overturn. leave it, in tune for at least an hour, remeasure but dont adjust it again today.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by adr11iano
oh you genious!
it turned!

actually wasnt that bad, i guess youre right about the mental thing

thanks!

edit: guy above, yeah turns out it wasnt too hard to do, i was just scared lol

edit 2:

i moved it 1/8 of a turn which seems safe.. if i wanna do it more, how safe is it to go to?

edit 3: that question was virtually answered already lol

dont ever evere ever turn it more than 1/4 at day, the less a day the better, trust me i know what could happen, you could strip the truss rod nut, or even worst strip de rod itself
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
not 1/4 of the nut total.

don't turn more than 1/4" total for the day.
very small amount.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by litus
dont ever evere ever turn it more than 1/4 at day, the less a day the better, trust me i know what could happen, you could strip the truss rod nut, or even worst strip de rod itself

what does that mean?

and yeah, i only did it 1/8 today, say 12pm - 10ishpm if looking at a clockface

how many more times should i do it and still be safe?
dont turn it any more today.

and again in case you didnt see. he's saying 1/4.

but really i dont suggest anything much more than 1/4" turn.
again a very small amount.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Sorry for semi-hijacking... when doing this adjustment, what kind of gap are you aiming at? I mean between the 7th fret and the string?
usually if its on the string, you need more neck bow.

if you can fit a credit card in the space between the fretwire and the string, then you have too much.

this can vary depending on the guitar and style of play. but it's a good place to start.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62