Hey,
I've got a 1984 Martin D-18 that my mom gave me. She's got Arthritis and can't play it any longer. She gave it to me when my 12 year old son and I started taking guitar lessons a few months ago. It's a fantastic guitar, in great shape, sounds even better than it looks, but it's just not the kind of guitar we like to play. She said we could sell it if we took and invested the proceeds of the sale back into musical instruments for the family. So, that's what I'm trying to do. My son wants a Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and we need a new amp. The Squire amp that came with the starter package is junk. Plus I'd like to get a Schecter C-1 or Damean. We like playing all genre's of Rock, Metal, I like Blues too.

Based on looking on CL and eBay, it looks like this guitar is work about $1300 to $1500. I put a ad on CL for more than that figuring someone would try and negotiate a price lower than my asking price.

I've gotten a couple of responses, but one the guy wants to trade me a Line 6 Flextone II 60w amp, a 70's Fender Champ amp, which I think is a 5w amp (i'm waiting on him to respond to that question), and a Epiphone Junior. + $500. I 've told him we aren't interested in the Epiphone. I was thinking about countering with $800 plus the 2 amps?

What do you all think is a fair trade for the Martin? Or should I just go for Cash? The only things I know about the Amps is what I've read on this forum. Obviously we are new to guitars and there's alot to learn. I don't want to get ripped off because of my lack of knowlege.

Any advice?

Thanks
Mark
Last edited by mtbiker at Jul 31, 2008,
the flextone would do for metal, the fender would do for blues

the epiphone valve junior isnt actually that bad
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Well, if ir is for a band, you can buy a big fender amp and with a pack of pedals you can make some very good sounds.

Or just buy a F***ING good Marshall
I've gotten a couple of responses, but one the guy wants to trade me a Line 6 Flextone II 60w amp, a 70's Fender Champ amp

the line 6 amp is crap i used to own a spider and played a few line 6 the tone is too digital thats why the guy wants to get rid of it by trading it

if i was you i would keep the guitar since is a martin and you probably going to have to sell it for less than what it cost since is used and is nice to have a acoustic if you go to take a trip or if the lights go out for example here on florida we had a hurricane if it wasnt for my acoustic i be bored as hell for 2 weeks

if i was you i would save up money and buy a nice guitar first and stay with crappy amp for a while and then save a decent amount of money and get nice amp

alot of people do this they split money between amp and guitar and they dont like the amp later on so they upgrade it but they are stuck with the old one then later on they decide to upgrade guitar but they stuck with the old one so is better to spend in a nice piece of equipment once so you dont waste your money and dont get stuck with a lot of equipment
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
Quote by stefan1988
the line 6 amp is crap i used to own a spider and played a few line 6 the tone is too digital thats why the guy wants to get rid of it by trading it

if i was you i would keep the guitar since is a martin and you probably going to have to sell it for less than what it cost since is used and is nice to have a acoustic if you go to take a trip or if the lights go out for example here on florida we had a hurricane if it wasnt for my acoustic i be bored as hell for 2 weeks

if i was you i would save up money and buy a nice guitar first and stay with crappy amp for a while and then save a decent amount of money and get nice amp

alot of people do this they split money between amp and guitar and they dont like the amp later on so they upgrade it but they are stuck with the old one then later on they decide to upgrade guitar but they stuck with the old one so is better to spend in a nice piece of equipment once so you dont waste your money and dont get stuck with a lot of equipment

you had a spider the flextones are actually really good. the vettas and 147s are even better

dont judge a company by the ****tiest product
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
^Agreed. Don't judge Line 6 Flextones unless you've played that specific amp.

Anyway, the one amp I can comment on is the Fender. It's a 5 watt tube amp. It'll be plenty loud for around the house practice, and should be fantastic for clean stuff and blues.

I wouldn't let go of such a great acoustic, though.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
I wouldn't let go of such a great acoustic, though.

i agree. you can get a pretty decent electric setup for not much more than $300 (yamaha pacifica 112 + roland microcube), which would be worth saving up for, if at all possible. I'm just scared you'll be sorry that you let the martin go.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'm just scared you'll be sorry that you let the martin go.

Exactly. Sometimes it takes some time before you can really respect a good acoustic guitar. I'd be willing to bet that if you and your son are still playing in 5 years, you'll regret getting rid of the Martin with every fiber of your being.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
i dunno anything about acoustics, but yeah, i agree, the longer you play, the more you'll appreciate the nicer gear.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you had a spider the flextones are actually really good. the vettas and 147s are even better

dont judge a company by the ****tiest product

i tried out some of their other products i played the tube spider amp version i saw a guy in the battle of the bands play with a vetta line 6 and the tone is crap in my opinion i even checked clips of people using the toneport and other recording line 6 interfaces in youtube before i decide to buy my mackie onyx

in other words my experience with line 6 hasnt been that great but if he likes the tone of it go for it i guess

Exactly. Sometimes it takes some time before you can really respect a good acoustic guitar. I'd be willing to bet that if you and your son are still playing in 5 years, you'll regret getting rid of the Martin with every fiber of your being.

i agree it takes time to appreciate an acoustic guitar when i started out i thought my yamaha f310 was fantastic then i played an ibanez aeg10 and it thought it was even better and now i got a taylor 314ce which is just amazing
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
Where do you live?

Screw these guys telling you not to part with it, I could put together a nice package of stuff for it for you and your son. I've got a variety of amps and a guitar or two I could trade.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.