Right, this is going to be somewhat difficult to explain!

Is it possible to create something to 'mimic' the resistance of a speaker? For example, lets say I have two all-valve amplifier combos, and one speaker cabinet. Let's also say that I've removed the speaker from each of the combos to reduce weight, and because I play them through the cabinet.

Now, I can only have one amp running at a time, because there is only one 'load' - the speaker cabinet. If there was a way to mimic a load (let's say that each amp has an impedance of 16ohms) in something much more light-weight and compact than a 12" speaker, it would theoretically be possible to switch two amps between one speaker cabinet (with an A/B switch), right?

Basically, I'm asking if there's something you could make that would connect to the redundant speaker clips in the combo amps (that connected to the removed speaker), that would mimic a 16ohm load, that the amp will switch to when not connected to the speaker cab?

I see no reason why this wouldn't be possible, but fear it could involve a fair amount of electrical engineering. This is just a pipeline dream currently, as I only have one amp, but it's something I wan't to look into.
Talk to some guys at a local music store, or maybe even an electrician. Actually, this really has nothing to do with music, it's all electrical. Do you have any friends or relatives that are good with that? What you want to do sounds very possible. I'm picturing a simple box that both amps would run to, and using a footswitch, you could select which amp would run to the speaker cabinet. Whatever's not running there would dead end in a 16 ohm resistor. Sound right?
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
^Can't use a resistor like that. Plus, where are you going to get a 100W rated resistor?

Also, you can't A/B heads to a single cabinet. One of them needs to have some sort of device, whether it be a dummy load or a speaker cabinet, taking the load from amp. Otherwise, it'll blow up.

EDIT: Oh. Hm..I think I just understood what you're saying.

Don't think that speaker cable can be A/Bed, either, like instrument cable.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jul 31, 2008,
A 16 ohm resistor sounds too simple... I thought of doing that, but somehow it just doesn't seem like it could be right...
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
The wattage on a 16 ohm resistor would have to be massive. I think that the dummy load part of the idea would work but that is where you lost me.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
something like this? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Radial-Headbone-VT-Amp-Head-Switcher-for-Tube-Amps?sku=153911

i just picked that one, theres a couple others ones at muscians friend if thats what tyour looking for, if not, o we ll i tried
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Attenuators are expensive for a reason. It takes heavy well built resistive load to deal with the load of say 100 watt tube amp. And also generates alot of heat. Not something your gonna build out of radioshack stuff. One of the reviews on the tonebone pedal said you werent able to use the FX loops of either amp. Could be an issue for some.