Ok I'm not going to pretend to know anything about music theory so here is my question. We are recording our EP and our producer is a program called Melodyne for the harmonies. We play rock music and to me the harmonies this thing is producing makes the songs sound to bright or happy might be a better word. He said that is because of the key the song is in and there isn't much we can do about it. Said we can only harmonize with the 3rd, 4th, or 5th of the chord and that is the end result. I'm looking for more of an Alter Bridge, Theory of a Deadman, Shinedown, type harmonies but we aren't really getting that effect. If you want to listen to the demos of the songs check out our myspace.

www.myspace.com/burntechoes

We are recording off there, These Days, Lonely Road, and Take Me Away.
look up intervals and not just major 3rds or perfect 5ths... play with your root notes and invert some chords to get better flow with songs.. work as hard as you can and it will show
good luck man
kevin
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Quote by chrisofeihenjar
are the thirds minor or major thirds?

I think they are major 3rds and that is the issue. Our producer is a badass and knows what he is talking about but I just wanted some outside opinions.
You can transpose the songs to a minor key. You said you know nothing about music theory so I could help you out if you want. If you know what a major 3rd is then that's a great start already.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
well,if you used minor thirds,it would work better.....instead of using a harmony making thingy ma bob,just multi-track.

and i hope im not offending you by saying this(im not sure exactly how much you know),but to get a minor third,just take the note and move it up three frets...hopefully that'll get you the sound you're looking for
i dont have AD.....ooo,shiny