I couldn't find a better place than here to post this so here goes.
My question to you is this: what, in your opinion, makes the best cover that a band can play to pay tribute to another bands great work?
And while you're at it, you might list some of your favorites.

I have finally just come to terms with my answer to the question.
I think that, for me, the perfect cover is recognizable as the original song and still retains at least some of the vibe of the original, but ideally you can recognize the band that's doing the cover because they infuse enough of their own style and musical trends into the song. You can change the vocals, sound of various instruments, even switch around and add new parts in, change the solo and even improvise your own, and generall have fun with the song. But in the best of circumstances it meets the requisites that I cited.

Now your opinion...
the cover should be performed in a way that makes it unique, but at the same time recognizable to the original
I see no sign of fortress.
Quote by IROn 5L1nKY
I couldn't find a better place than here to post this so here goes.
My question to you is this: what, in your opinion, makes the best cover that a band can play to pay tribute to another bands great work?
And while you're at it, you might list some of your favorites.

I think that, for me, the perfect cover is recognizable as the original song and still retains at least some of the vibe of the original, but ideally you can recognize the band that's doing the cover because they infuse enough of their own style and musical trends into the song. You can change the vocals, sound of various instruments, even switch around and add new parts in, change the solo and even improvise your own, and generall have fun with the song. But in the best of circumstances it meets the requisites that I cited.

Now your opinion...

+ mother ****ing 1
My favorites are the ones that are very different genres than what the band covering it are in, but they add a lot to it, to fit their sound, like some of Bodom's covers, like Somebody Put SOmething in My Drink, or like Arch Enemy's covers of Symphony of Destruction and Kill With Power.
If you're a hot chick you've probably got a good chance with the lead singer or guitar player, If you're a little bit overweight, you should probably go for the drummer. If you're a dude, go for the bass player
taking the original vibe and melody of the song and making it uniquely yours

case in point: tool's cover of no quarter by led zeppelin
Go Veg.
Everything you said. If a band's cover sounds just like the original what's the point?
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
the cover should be performed in a way that makes it unique, but at the same time recognizable to the original

Totally Agree
The cover doesn't have to sound ANYTHING like the original, IMO.

Look at Tori Amos' "Raining Blood" cover. Such a great song, but it bears no resemblence to the original.

The only thing that I would "require" of a good cover is for it to be original. Add your own creative flair and style to the song. Other than that, go crazy.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I'd say taking a song & making it your own really.

Keeping everything to the standard, alot like Kerrang's Maiden Heaven album or even the High Voltage one that has the likes of Bullet for my Valentine covering Crazy Train, the Metallica covers album too.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
ratm's how i could just kill a man is a good example. It sounds completely different, but it still has some of the feel of the cypress hill hit. But even more of the Rage sound
Quote by luuuuuuukee
ratm's how i could just kill a man is a good example. It sounds completely different, but it still has some of the feel of the cypress hill hit. But even more of the Rage sound

dont forget street fighting man, they did a great job covering that
i think one of the best covers i heard is biffy clyro doing take me out by franz ferdinand. you could sort of recognize it but they put enough of their own style to make it a song of their own.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Did I ever tell you how much I love you?

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']My father once said to me "Son, masturbation can stunt your growth and make you blind".

I said "I'm over here, shorty".
I don't like covers where the band just plays it with some distortion where there was none before (such as the latest cover of Beat It I heard). I think it has to be done either with a slight element of comedy that makes it more enjoyable than the original, or in a way that shows they understand the original and play it with the same feeling the artist had in mind. I'd be really proud if someone ever covered one of my songs in the same way.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
i agree with your second paragraph TS.

also, i find Guns n Roses cover of Live and Let Die to be fantastic, better than the original IMO
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by IROn 5L1nKY

Pretty much.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!