do they use different parts? do american employees have better attention to detail? im not a performer and im just looking for a good "intermediate" guitar, one that will last me a long time, is the extra $600 for the american worth it?
Well, the pickups and build are better in the MIA ones, but the MIM ones are still ace.

Never underestimate a Fender!

Apart from the Starcaster!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
MIM are assembled by Mexican's with mainly American parts in a Mexican Factory.
MIA are assembled by Mexican's with all American parts in an American Factory.

American's have closer attention to detail & sometimes better parts (Mainly the Vibrato System).
Edit:

Quote by Lil Macker

Weren't they made by Squier too?
God Damn awful things.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Just a general better quality build for an MIA as opposed to a MIM.
Mexican ones are still great though.
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

I know the pickups are better in the American ones. I have a Mexican one and love it. If I spent the money on the American I'd be afraid to ding it up. The Mexican is built like a tank. The American is a really nice piece, but if your not really at that level just go for the Mexican.
where the mexican who builds it stands.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by Kingyem0c0re

MIA are assembled by Mexican's with all American parts in an American Factory.

man so true............so true lol
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
american strats are higher quality. are they worth the extra? only you can tell that.

btw, it's retarded saying that american fenders are made by mexicans in the USA, and using that as a reason to buy the MIM. while that may be true, a person's nationality won't affect how good the guitar is; it's the higher tolerances, and better quality wood, machinery used, hardware, QC and pickups/electronics which will. And the american one is superior in all of those areas. As I said, though, only you can judge whether it's sufficiently superior to justify the extra cost (plus if you can find a nice example of a MIM, that'll narrow the gap further).

i'd also take a look at G&L, you may prefer them to fenders.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you're planning to have the guitar for a long time, I would choose the MIA. If you can afford it, of course. The MIM ones are great too, I have one here right next to me that plays and feels very good, and sounds good too, but I think an American Fender would be much better.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
ive played a few MIMs (and owned one) and played a few MIAs, and while on the whole the MIA feels nicer and sounds nicer, there are the odd gem of a MIM out there that rivals a MIA - the MIM i bought plays better than the three MIAs I have played. While this is rare, it is worth trying a load of guitars out and simply buying the one you like the best. All batches of guitars have great and not so great ones, and i think (and im my experience) that a great, well made and set up MIM is just as good, if not better than an average/not so great made and set up MIA. if that makes sense...
Well on Fender's website they say the difference is the electronics (pups, pots etc) are made in Mexico & that the guitars are assembled in Mexico. The bodies & necks are all made in America at Fender & sent to Mexico for assembly , I dont remember what the story is with the machine heads. There is definately a difference in quality of the crappy pots but the pups arnt bad.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by Lil Macker
Well, the pickups and build are better in the MIA ones, but the MIM ones are still ace.

HEY!!!

...i love mine....
O O

___
try em out for yourself.

do you think americans can assemble something better than a mexican? hmmm

there are good guitar manufacturers all over the world.
Thank you please.
Yeah...i was gonna say that generally the MIAs or better overall and quality wise but i've played some MIMs that were on par and felt better for some reason. Better crunch and action if that is allowed.

Granted I have an HSS. I think it is all relative. Buy what you can afford. Buy what plays well. Buy after you try both or all. This is fundamental regardless of the instrument.

yo

If you really just wanna see specs here is a site I post a lot:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=101934

So in other words....Use Teh Search Bar and Google yo...
The biggest difference between the MIM guitars and the MIA guitar is the pickups. MIA teles have resonable pickups and MIM teles have some of the worst pickups ever made.

The bodies on MIM guitars of often times 3 or 4 pc. bodies when MIA are typically 1 or 2. The neck on the MIM is different but some people, myself included, like the mexican neck better. The final big difference is the setup. The tolerances in the American factory are much smaller than the talerances in the mexican factories. That means that although most of the guitars both have good setups, you are more likely to get an MIM guitar with a poor setup.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
The biggest difference between the MIM guitars and the MIA guitar is the pickups. MIA teles have resonable pickups and MIM teles have some of the worst pickups ever made.

The bodies on MIM guitars of often times 3 or 4 pc. bodies when MIA are typically 1 or 2. The neck on the MIM is different but some people, myself included, like the mexican neck better. The final big difference is the setup. The tolerances in the American factory are much smaller than the talerances in the mexican factories. That means that although most of the guitars both have good setups, you are more likely to get an MIM guitar with a poor setup.

What the hell are you talking baout mim tele's have great pick ups.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
The worst pickups ever made? I played an MIM tele with american tuners and bridge installed at a gig and the thing destroyed!
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by CorduroyEW
(a) The biggest difference between the MIM guitars and the MIA guitar is the pickups. MIA teles have resonable pickups and MIM teles have some of the worst pickups ever made.

(b) The bodies on MIM guitars of often times 3 or 4 pc. bodies when MIA are typically 1 or 2.

(a) i'm not sure i've tried an MIM tele, but i'd certainly agree regarding the strats. those pickups were awful. they're not like the really bad pickups you can get on cheapo starter guitars which cut out etc., but they just had no tone. they're ceramic, aren't they?

(b) i thought the MIMs were several piece bodies (i.e. more than 3) while MIA were 3 piece? you have to go pretty high up the range to get a 2-piece on MIA strats, i thought.

Quote by edge11
What the hell are you talking baout mim tele's have great pick ups.

gee, i dunno, i mean the dude only handwinds pickups for a living, what the hell would he know?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Martin Scott
The Mexican ones are made in Mexico, and the American ones are made in Indonesia.

Wah?!?!
My New Gear!
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) i'm not sure i've tried an MIM tele, but i'd certainly agree regarding the strats. those pickups were awful. they're not like the really bad pickups you can get on cheapo starter guitars which cut out etc., but they just had no tone. they're ceramic, aren't they?

(b) i thought the MIMs were several piece bodies (i.e. more than 3) while MIA were 3 piece? you have to go pretty high up the range to get a 2-piece on MIA strats, i thought.

A) MIM tele pickups don't have bassplates, they use brass covers on the neck, the magnets are ceramic, the wire is poly, and the bobbins are abs plastic! On a single coil pickup you can't get any cheaper.

B) MIM have 3 or more piece bodies. MIA have 3 or less. In the USA most of the MIA's I've seen have 2 piece bodies and most of the MIM's had 3 or 4. I haven't paid much attention sence I moved to the UK. Perhaps they are a lower quality here.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Martin Scott
The Mexican ones are made in Mexico, and the American ones are made in Indonesia.

Sometimes I seriously wonder if you need prof help. Maybe you were kidding but honestly it is hard to tell.

Corduroy owned this tread

Just realized I posted a Strat comparison and not a Tele comparison so sorry about that - but it still might help.
Quote by CorduroyEW
A) MIM tele pickups don't have bassplates, they use brass covers on the neck, the magnets are ceramic, the wire is poly, and the bobbins are abs plastic! On a single coil pickup you can't get any cheaper.

B) MIM have 3 or more piece bodies. MIA have 3 or less. In the USA most of the MIA's I've seen have 2 piece bodies and most of the MIM's had 3 or 4. I haven't paid much attention sence I moved to the UK. Perhaps they are a lower quality here.

(a) you know more than me, obviously, i just know that the MIM standard pickups i've tried didn't sound very good, at all.

(b) yeah, that's kinda what I meant. Maybe i just read your original post incorrectly...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the MIM guitars are obviously built in mexico, while the MIA is assembled in America. Theoretically, the USA made one would be better due to better build quality and electronics, but in all honesty, most guys swap out electronics on their guitars. I'd go play a bunch and see if the difference is worth it. I'll also point out having high end wood doesn't neccesarily mean the guitar will sound better; Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstrat is made of 2nds (which are generally lower quality woods), and it sounds great (granted, tone really lies in the hands, but still; a good guitar will help!).

If you don't want to spend the extra money, but still get a kick ass guitar, look at older Japanese made Fenders or Squires (the OLD ones; when they were made in japan and actually good). You can find them on ebay for 3 - 5 hundred in great condition, and since it's made in japan you're almost guaranteed great construction. Pickup swap and there you go; great guitar!