i decided to start playing my old acoustic, but it desperately needs restringing

what sort of string gauge is good to start off with?

i'm most likely going to use it for nirvana/metallica/maybe opeth style acoustic stuff
Gear:

Fender Highway One Strat
Ibanez RG321MH
Cort SFX-1
Peavey Valveking 112
Marshall MG30DFX
Morley Power Wah
Mapex VX 22 (drum kit)
Mahalo flying V ukulele
Try some martin marquis strings,
they are in a green package, extra light .010-.047 gauge.
Really nice strings, made my crap acoustic sound decent.
um no, most guitars come factory with either Lights (12-53) or mediums (13-56). Start with the lights.
Guild DV-4 Acoustic
Fender Standard Telecaster Ash MIM
Fender Vibro Champ XD
thanks, ordering them
Gear:

Fender Highway One Strat
Ibanez RG321MH
Cort SFX-1
Peavey Valveking 112
Marshall MG30DFX
Morley Power Wah
Mapex VX 22 (drum kit)
Mahalo flying V ukulele
uhh... elixirs... deep sound? heck no. elixirs are one of the brightest strings on the planet and kill all depth in my guitars.

Martin SP and D'addario are my suggestions. Also, try to get light(12's) anything less and you'll play them out of tune really easily.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Yeah, with the normal elixirs I got a very bright sound. However when I tried to the phosphors I found that I did get a fairly rich sound at first, and after about a week they were quite deep and rich (at least on my guitar). I used to play Martin SP's... but I've found I much prefer the depth given by those. I mostly play blues/rock, and I found them to give me the edge for it.

I dunno, I've been known to be wrong before... but at least for my guitar they worked very well and gave me the edge I wanted to play things like AiC and the acoustic Godsmack etc...
D'addario 12's for sure. Never use extra-light 10's on an acoustic.
It's definitely different for each guitar. Best way to find out what's for you is to try them. Martin SPs dont work too well on my Art & Lutherie but work wonders on my Martin.
Equipment:

Id say start off with 12's. They're pretty much standard. If you decide theyre not for you, going for heavier strings will give more volume but will make techniques like bending harder. Going for lighter strings will give less volume but make techniques like bending easier.
since i can't find anywhere to buy elixirs anyway...well....cheaply, so i've ordered d'addario 12's
Gear:

Fender Highway One Strat
Ibanez RG321MH
Cort SFX-1
Peavey Valveking 112
Marshall MG30DFX
Morley Power Wah
Mapex VX 22 (drum kit)
Mahalo flying V ukulele
Quote by drol_52
since i can't find anywhere to buy elixirs anyway...well....cheaply, so i've ordered d'addario 12's

Over a long period of time I've tried just about every string on the market, somehow I always ended up back with d'addario 12's.
I've tried about several brands myself. I find myself going back to Martin SPs. Strings are far too personal a thing to leave to other people to tell you what is the best.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
I've tried about several brands myself. I find myself going back to Martin SPs. Strings are far too personal a thing to leave to other people to tell you what is the best.

Totaly agree.