I've decided on an epi sg as an upgrade from my lp special 2. I'm looking to spend under $400 on it and am looking at a G-400, a G-400 vintage, and a '66 reissue G-400. Right now I'm kinda leaning toward the '66 sg with the black and silver paintjob that guitarcenter sells simply because it really stands out. I figure I might put some burstbucker pros in it down the road but that'd be a while off. But my real question is, what is the difference between these 3 guitars? The main difference I can see is that the G-400 and the vintage have alnico v humbuckers while the '66 has an alnico classic and a classic plus. I play music that ranges from "teh br00talz" to some really mellow stuff like Brand New, so having some good distortion along with warm cleans and a good crunch tone is ideal. And whats the difference between the pickups too?
There's not much difference between them really, it's more down to looks.

So pick the one that you like the most, then everything will be good!!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
well gibson and epiphone like to reissue everything, i dont know if they're is a major difference between any of em, but the '66 probably has a thinner neck, and the body is often shaped a little differently. there probably aren't any major differences between any of em
^ Niiice 3HB SG man.

Yeah, check eBay. Used is the way to go. You get a better guitar for less money and you fuel some poor sap's drug habit.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Quote by Link.JohnIrving
^ Niiice 3HB SG man.

Yeah, check eBay. Used is the way to go. You get a better guitar for less money and you fuel some poor sap's drug habit.

thanks....
if it were me i would get a used gibson sg...they can be had for around $500...when your at guitar center..pick up both of them..(gibson/epi)...you should feel the difference in weight...but most importantly play them all...

but like others have said the epi sg400 is a nice guitar,....that 3 pick up one is pretty hot.

good luck and let us know what ya went with