I'm semi-new to guitar, thoough I'm a reasonably fast learner. I'm using the tapping segment at the very end of Eruption (That everyone knows) as a kind of introduction to 1 finger tapping. However, it doesn't tap like most songs I've tried, starting with the highest note and going down (even if ascending up the fret board). Most people know what I mean, how it starts with left hand as opposed to right. I am wondering, does it affect the quality of the piece to play it normally as opposed to the way van halen does it? I can sort of hear the difference, but I can't tell whether or not I care about it. Right now, I play the first half, the ascension, my way, and the second half, the descension/finale his way... What is the general suggestion?
If you play
T
17-12h15-

Then you play it like that. If you play it as introduction to tapping then it`s not so bad. If you want to show-off for other people (Who don`t play guitar) Then there`s no difference, then will never hear it.
But try to do both ways, if you want to learn to tap completely.
Quote by MaXiMuse
If you play
T
17-12h15-

Then you play it like that. If you play it as introduction to tapping then it`s not so bad. If you want to show-off for other people (Who don`t play guitar) Then there`s no difference, then will never hear it.
But try to do both ways, if you want to learn to tap completely.

I don't show off =P I use my cello for that (Playing it 10 years). I wanna learn guitar well. I am going to try both ways, but I'm wondering which is more efficient in the long run.
Neither is better than the other. They are just different. However, some times one will sound slightly more appropriate (can't think of a particular example off the top of my head, but I have encountered this before). Also, just for the record, those aren't the only two pattern's you can do with a 3 note per string tapping thing.
Quote by TheShred201
Neither is better than the other. They are just different. However, some times one will sound slightly more appropriate (can't think of a particular example off the top of my head, but I have encountered this before). Also, just for the record, those aren't the only two pattern's you can do with a 3 note per string tapping thing.

I know it isn't, those 2 are simply the most common. I'm just wondering how I should learn this particular piece. Will anyone actually NOTICE (As in, other musicians, I don't play for parlor tricks) if I played it differently?
^ doubt it.

19-12h15-19-12h15-19-12h15

12h15-19-12h15-19-12h15-19

You see, when you play that fast, the only way to tell would be if the accented notes is the tapped note. So whether you start on 12 or 19, it's essentially the same string of notes.