Recently I have been browsing and looking around for a new amp. However, while looking on Harmony Central, I see many reviews saying "No effects loop". I also have a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal. Does the amp not having an effects loop mean I can't use my effect pedal on the amp? Thanks for looking.
The distortion would be fine. You can use any effect pedal on any loop, but some modulation effects sound better in the loop.
Quote by klducks
Recently I have been browsing and looking around for a new amp. However, while looking on Harmony Central, I see many reviews saying "No effects loop". I also have a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal. Does the amp not having an effects loop mean I can't use my effect pedal on the amp? Thanks for looking.

An effects loop is just a different way of plugging in effects, usually for modulation or delay. Distortion or overdrive pedals tend to go from guitar to amp, not in the loop. Just because an amp doesn't have an effects loop doesn't mean you can't use the effects, its all preference where it goes.
Nope, I had my pedal from Guitar to Amp. I don't think I fully understand what the loop is. (Anyone with a diagram explaining this would be helpful)

But I guess for the point of the thread is I shouldn't worry if an amp has an effects loop or not for the sake of my pedals?
Quote by klducks
Nope, I had my pedal from Guitar to Amp. I don't think I fully understand what the loop is. (Anyone with a diagram explaining this would be helpful)

But I guess for the point of the thread is I shouldn't worry if an amp has an effects loop or not for the sake of my pedals?

yeah it doesn't really matter.
and effects loop is like another line in line out at the back of your amp that lets you run pedals through it, and like has already been said, some pedals sound better in the loop, some outside of it.
An effects loop, and if im wrong please correct me, affects the amp signal that goes from the power amp to the preamp. While throwing a od/dist infront of the guitar affects the guitars signal into the amp.
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
Quote by yocomobebes
An effects loop, and if im wrong please correct me, affects the amp signal that goes from the power amp to the preamp. While throwing a od/dist infront of the guitar affects the guitars signal into the amp.

yup...thats pretty much it!!

normaly you would put things in the effects loop that dont boost your signal,..like eq,..reverb...etc....

i have found putting something like distortion in the loop dosent sound so good.

you would put any pedal that boosts siganl in the front of your amp.

good luck
The effects loop takes delays and modulation effects, while most everything else goes between the guitar and amp.
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ