Poll: Piano or guitar, which is harder with Technique?
Poll Options
View poll results: Piano or guitar, which is harder with Technique?
Piano
111 58%
Guitar
82 42%
Voters: 193.
Page 1 of 2
I was just wondering what do you guys think would be harder to learn as far as technique goes..

Piano or Guitar? I can shred as it is, but piano seems very intimidating hehe. What with the coordination and all, I mean emotion I can put into guitar, but it seems as if it would be harder with piano with everything going on.

Poll soon.

Edit: With guitar I mean shred guitar.
Quote by buddha
isnt there a law against not shaving? thats somewere in our constitution. i think it goes something like a girl maybe be a freak in the sheets but no be wild down stairs is treason and for that she will be beheaded.-good old Benjamin F.

Last edited by shakin'cakes at Jul 31, 2008,
my d!ck...by far

also guitar,think how many combinations of sounds you ca make with a piano,then how man you can make with guitar,add in bending,effects pedals,hammer on/off etc etc
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick
I keep lookin behind me,You're amazing at this

Quote by Aerokizzombie
Dam,Cent, ur repeating man scares the shit out of me, its so true

Quote by CodChick
Omg Cent,Ive been havin nightmares because of u

Quote by MCMXCII
**** you man,I was just going to bed

I'm scary
Quote by centorium
my d!ck...by far

also guitar,think how many combinations of sounds you ca make with a piano,then how man you can make with guitar,add in bending,effects pedals,hammer on/off etc etc

never heared of keyboard effects? i mean look at jordan rudess , there are a lot of effects on a keyboard
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

Piano, definitely.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

For those who play piano, mind telling us why it's so much harder? Obviously the coordination, but what else? I'm very curious and might end up learning it.
Quote by buddha
isnt there a law against not shaving? thats somewere in our constitution. i think it goes something like a girl maybe be a freak in the sheets but no be wild down stairs is treason and for that she will be beheaded.-good old Benjamin F.

guitar, with piano you only have one row to worry about and its a lot easier to play a piano note than a guitar note, but on the other hand you have to worry about a bass part and a lead part which i suck at

idk i stopped playing piano when i was 7 (i played for like 5 months) so i dont really know both instruments inside and out
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Shred guitar. Probably because I can't do it, lol. I'm rubbish at that kinda thing. Piano isn't that hard. Of course, some of the more complicated pieces are terrifyingly hard, but otherwise it's an ok instrument to learn.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Guitar. A piano is a very simple layout. Its all just sitting there in front of you. The hardest thign for me is getting my left hand to get a moderately complex rhytmn going, and my right hand to then go off as if it has a mind of its own.
I started playing Classical pieces like Mozart on piano within 5 month.

Do you notice that when ever you play piano in front of people...no body is impressed but when you play guitar people, people are impressed. Piano is one of the easiest instrument to pick up and be good at, IMO.

BTW, piano theory is just laid out for you and earing out notes on piano is simple because the tone is the same for 90% of them.
I completely fail at piano as soon as my left hand has to start doing something (thats different from what the other one is)
Quote by Fuzzbox91
guitar, with piano you only have one row to worry about and its a lot easier to play a piano note than a guitar note, but on the other hand you have to worry about a bass part and a lead part which i suck at

idk i stopped playing piano when i was 7 (i played for like 5 months) so i dont really know both instruments inside and out

I'd say its actually a lot harder to get expression out of a piano note than it is to get out of a guitar note
it really depends what you play on piano. a guitar piece on piano could be easier on either, a piano piece on guitar could prove immensely difficult.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
well i think its harder to play sheet music at guitar than at piano

both instrument can be played in a compelx way like 8 finger tapping and to play piano with 10 fingers
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

piano, you can't take it anywhere with you :p

It takes people years to get to a moderate level of piano, while it may take a guitarist a maximum of about 2 years.You have to read 2 clefs at once while playing. It takes serious multitasking skill.
Quote by shakin'cakes
For those who play piano, mind telling us why it's so much harder? Obviously the coordination, but what else? I'm very curious and might end up learning it.

...the interpretation of very complex pieces, the technicalities of dynamics...and balancing pressure exerted on keys..etc...

10 fingers playing is much harder than 5 plus a picking hand...
Depends what you play.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

I play both and say piano for sure.
sightreading sheet music though, I'd say guitar.
Quote by roksta101
...the interpretation of very complex pieces, the technicalities of dynamics...and balancing pressure exerted on keys..etc...

10 fingers playing is much harder than 5 plus a picking hand...

I'm sorry but who uses 10 fingers at the same time? It may be easy to get started on a guitar, but synchronizing your left and right hand takes LOTS of practice. Shredding accurately and sweeping at high speeds takes alot of time. If you're not the really serious dude who practices scales several hours a day, it takes at the very least 2-3 years to be able to shred at a high tempo.
id say guitar is harder. when i started guitar it was really awkward and painful just to play marry had a little lamb, but when i tried that song on piano it was easy as hell. all the keys for the piano are right there. I don't know if my opinion is credible though since playing the bass part along with the right hand was pretty damn hard, but it seems like a ton of people know a song or two on piano but only actual guitarists know how to play a song on guitar :P so yea..
Another thing about piano is if you want to get from a high note to a low note, whilst your other hand is doing something else, you need to move it to the other side of the keyboard really quickly, whereas on guitar you can just go down a couple of strings
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
I play both, and I say guitar, not like shred guitar though more like classical or flamenco, I will say that it is harder to get to a moderate level of proficiency on the piano, but beyond that the guitar gets harder. Also the guitar is a lot more responsive to subtleties in technique than the piano.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
thats kind of tough. i mean when i learned piano, it came really easy, but i think thats because my teacher was good with beginners, but i found it incredibly hard to get really good, so im just decent at it.
guitar was in my opinion really easy to start only because i had a background in piano which set me up well for any instrument. Iv been able to excell pretty well with guitar when i practice well, so id say piano
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Piano.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Piano.
I play both, piano well, guitar well. But i've been playying piano since i was eight and guitar since i was 13 (I'm now 15), and guitar seems easier to get good at than piano.
hello
it's harder to play guitar than piano. Piano = static notes unless you start working with effects and pedals.

Guitars it's easy to make false notes/screeching notes. And also you have more notes to play.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
i play both and for me its piano. To get a fast 'lick' (for wont of a better word) going on a piano i find a lot harder than on a guitar...the action doesnt feel as ahem 'slick'

soz my vocabulary fails me tonight- i'm tired. haha
"Their eyes, black in kingdoms of gold, like the rocks of this desert, where we wander in circles, tails up the ass of time..."
Quote by shakin'cakes

I do both, but i've got to say, piano isn't harder.
Take any piece of music with piano, and you can play along just using the chord boxes and key signatures and you can make up a solo piece that sounds very much like the original song.
But I can't shred for the life of me (then again, I do play acoustic and rythm mainly)
2 ducks and a rabbi walk into a bar.
The rabbi enjoys a nice drink and the ducks are shooed out so that health services aren't called in.
The day proceeds as normal.
Quote by bluesubno6
2 hands doing different things.

yeah... you know your hands do different things on the guitar as well?

I play both classical piano and classical, fingerstyle, w.e. guitar. Some things will be easier to play on the guitar and some things will be easier to play on the piano, that's just how it is. As a beginner, most people will find the guitar easier to play but once you once you get to intermediate standard on each instrument they're pretty much the same and once you get to diploma level, both instruments are incredibly hard to play. Neither instrument is easier or more difficult than the other.
guitar is harder definitely
ive been playing piano since i was like 6 so i've been playing about 10 years now. quit recently to spend more time on guitar. i can say piano is much more simple.

you only have to touch the keys for it to sound and as for the foot part, its not to hard.
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
As someone who plays both, they are in all honesty about the same difficulty.

With a guitar, you have a million different ways of playing the same three notes, depending on how you want to convey yourself, not to mention having to physically controll your instrument's feedback, pitch, and a thousand other things.

With piano, all you have to worry about is playing the notes, but it takes a while to get used to two hands having to do two different rythyms, not to mention the dexerity required in both hands.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by shakin'cakes

I'm just learning piano, been taking lessons for a month, and I have to say, getting a good sense of dynamics as well as proper controll for playing legato, staccato, etc is a lot less intuitive and, I think, difficult than on guitar or bass. Doing all the subtle work with your hands is pretty tough--basically playing articulately and voicing the notes properly. Granted the coordination issues are still giving me absolute hell as I am such a beginner.

You learn a lot of theory a very quickly on piano though. I think everyone should spend some time on it.
Quote by Craigo
Piano is harder. Those who said guitar just don't know the piano well enough.

Learning piano at the start is harder than learning guitar for sure, but for me piano is easier (but that's only because I've been playing for 12 years).
Piano has all the sounds for you to play just by pressing down on the keys. While guitar you have to literally sit down and get used to the strings. But ten fingers moving around on the keyboard is just as difficult shredding on a guitar. I guess everyone is different but I have to go with guitar being the hardest.
Learning Bass was harder than learning piano for me.

Piano, both hands are doing the same thing (not same notes, but the style of hand motion is the exact same.) On bass you have up to 9 fingers doing something important (my plucking hand little finger never does much, but the rest normally do something relevant.) Not only are these 9 fingers doing something, but they are generally always doing something different than any of the other fingers.

Also, there are way more physical styles to learn when playing bass, piano is just a matter of technicality, notes, and position. Learn slap on piano and Ill pay you some good head
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I'm just learning piano, been taking lessons for a month, and I have to say, getting a good sense of dynamics as well as proper controll for playing legato, staccato, etc is a lot less intuitive and, I think, difficult than on guitar or bass. Doing all the subtle work with your hands is pretty tough--basically playing articulately and voicing the notes properly. Granted the coordination issues are still giving me absolute hell as I am such a beginner.

You learn a lot of theory a very quickly on piano though. I think everyone should spend some time on it.

I agree. Learning theory on a piano is so much easier.

Anyway, I'm not a great piano player, but as I said, they are about the same in difficulty.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Page 1 of 2