Not sure where this would go, but anyway, how do you determine what time signature a song is in? I have a riff and I need to make a backing drum loop for it. I need both the time signature and the tempo to do that. I can sort of figure out the tempo (I can always adapt the riff to the tempo of the drum beat), but how do I figure out exactly what the time signature is?
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
how come you cant work it out?

post an mp3 of it.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
just repeat the riff and count along. if it is like 8 beats long, its probably in 4:4. or if its 12 then 3:4
jus try and find th lowest factor (if u are any good at maths)

to be honest if u have just written urself a riff its unlikely to be 7:8 timing like 'Money' and its most likely 2 be 4:4 time. Try it out with 4:4 first (4 beats in a bar), then 3:4 (3 beats in a bar), then maybe 6:8 (6 faster beats in a bar)
Last edited by Geeeeezer at Jul 31, 2008,
count the durations of the notes in it and work it out from there.

liek 3 8ths and 2 quarter notes would be 7/8
7 8ths and 2 quarters would be 13/8

stuff like that
most time signatures used nowadays is common time like 4/4 but there are certain exceptions like on master of puppets the slide power chord passages in the main riff and war pigs
my advice is listen to the patterns in the drums over and over again to figure it out
Thanks. I got it. It's in 4/4 time. I thought so at first but I think I counted the beats wrong or something like that so I thought it was a lot faster than what it actually was, which messed me up.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
or if its 12 then 3:4

What? 3/4 has three beats per bar, not 12.

hen maybe 6:8 (6 faster beats in a bar)

6/8 has two beats per bar, with each beat being a dotted quarter note.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.