apparently Paypal does not cover anything that was not bought directly through an auction on Ebay. so sending money to buy a guitar through Paypal is technically no more safe than sending an envelop full of cash. here's how i found out about it:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2045144

this should probably be stickied or some other way to notify everyone of this.
Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.
Quote by garden of grey
Paypal has always been a pretty terrible payment method. Reasonably easy to get scammed on it.

Man speaks the truth.

For about 5 years I refused to get it because it just seemed so darn unsafe, but after taking up guitar and airsoft which to get the real bargains for require paypal, I eventually gave in. Darn thing has worked it's way deep into online shopping.
you have to be a verified member with a confirmed address..and the person you buy or sell to has to be verified with a confirmed address....then your covered
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by twinturboaudi
you have to be a verified member with a confirmed address..and the person you buy or sell to has to be verified with a confirmed address....then your covered

True! It can all seem a bit scary with all the identity theft scams going on nowadays. People always trying to come up with a way to make money other than earning it like everyone else. The fact is PayPal works and is indeed a reputable and trustworthy way of doing online business. I have had a case where I sent money to someone and it wasnt received. They took there sweet time, (3 weeks) but everything was straightened out.
And the answer to your question.... No. The money was not sent through a sale!
It was actually money I pretty much wired my brother.
Cheaper than Western Union.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.
I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." -- Barack Obama

''Life's tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' -- John Wayne
Quote by twinturboaudi

+1 Not confirmed... no coverage.
Quote by schismed
True! It can all seem a bit scary with all the identity theft scams going on nowadays. People always trying to come up with a way to make money other than earning it like everyone else. The fact is PayPal works and is indeed a reputable and trustworthy way of doing online business. I have had a case where I sent money to someone and it wasnt received. They took there sweet time, (3 weeks) but everything was straightened out.
And the answer to your question.... No. The money was not sent through a sale!
It was actually money I pretty much wired my brother.
Cheaper than Western Union.

you must've not read the link. the guy bought a guitar and the moron who sent it didn't package it properly and it got all messed up, but Paypal said they don't cover anything outside of Ebay. so just cause there are a confirmed address doesn't mean you will always get your money. it's not a safe way to send money.
Quote by Jackintehbox

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I know this isn't exactly related but it is kind of.
If you're a seller on eBay now and the buyer wasn't 100% or the was something wrong what do you do? Because you can't leave buyers negative feedback. I mean I understand why on princable as people were just putting negative back just because you had done it to them (I have been a victim of this).
Just wondering what you guys thought (Y)
Call me Duncan.

Nearly always have D'addario EXL110 strings instock - just ask!

Custom made guitar slides available - choose the glass, length etc.. Engraving availible. PM or email for more info.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
Quote by clay pots
you must've not read the link. the guy bought a guitar and the moron who sent it didn't package it properly and it got all messed up, but Paypal said they don't cover anything outside of Ebay. so just cause there are a confirmed address doesn't mean you will always get your money. it's not a safe way to send money.

its completely safe if you follow the rules..you should go read them on paypals website..ive been covered on everything ive sold...and ive never used ebay...paypal is accepted at countless stores..its not just an ebay thing
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by clay pots

I just wanted to throw that out there since a lot of people come on here and will read the entire forum and all the comments. If you were to do that with the comments you made, people would automatically assume the link you left was stating something to the effect of PayPal being an Ebay only thing.
That is not the case! That is my only point. And I have actually already seen all that info on PayPal's new policy. I get current emails from them regularly.
I just dont want people to think PayPal is not a legit way of doing business. It works.

When you buy something online, or however, and you pay through PayPal, you are taking the sellers word that they will insure, and protect, your investment. If you dont pay for insurance and it is something that can get screwed up by unforeseen causes, then its your own damn fault. Not the sellers, or PayPal's!

Thats all I have to say about that....

The thing thats good about Paypal inst the fact that your gauranteed not to get scammed, but the fact that you can buy stuff with a credit card WIHTOUT giving your credit card number to some questionable sources.

I understand their reasoning for not covering noe eBay auctions. For one you could easily say that you got ripped off for twice what you were and they dont have time to investigate all the claims from sales through tons of different sources. Through eBay they can just quickly check to make sure everything is legit.
Quote by schismed
I just wanted to throw that out there since a lot of people come on here and will read the entire forum and all the comments. If you were to do that with the comments you made, people would automatically assume the link you left was stating something to the effect of PayPal being an Ebay only thing.
That is not the case! That is my only point. And I have actually already seen all that info on PayPal's new policy. I get current emails from them regularly.
I just dont want people to think PayPal is not a legit way of doing business. It works.

When you buy something online, or however, and you pay through PayPal, you are taking the sellers word that they will insure, and protect, your investment. If you dont pay for insurance and it is something that can get screwed up by unforeseen causes, then its your own damn fault. Not the sellers, or PayPal's!

Thats all I have to say about that....

the policy has been changed fairly recently though.

also if you send someone the money and they don't send you the gear, Paypal won't refund your money or even do an investigation. they simply don't cover it. it's about as safe as sending cash through an envelope now.
Quote by Jackintehbox

Quote by deathbat831

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You seem pretty insistent on bashing them with this thread. I have said all I have to say. One bad experience in millions.... go figure.

Quote by schismed
You seem pretty insistent on bashing them with this thread. I have said all I have to say. One bad experience in millions.... go figure.

Think again buddy... This is a small list... Do a Google search for "Paypal problems" and you will find thousands of horror stories...

http://www.aboutpaypal.org/

http://www.screw-paypal.com/

http://www.paypalwarning.com/

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

http://www.paypalsucks.com/forums/showthread.php?fid=6&tid=1529&old_block=0

http://attrition.org/~squido/paypal/
Refs: XgamerGt04,tinypants,SomebodySomeone,Cutlass_253,
souperman08,Bostonrocks,RealGuitarHero,loonyguitarist, ty66, nephilium, johnny_tapia, OsirisProtocol,deadsmiley, PowerMetalg,SchecterFreak,Mfergel,ohspyro89

TTM USA $639 SHIPPED!-PM 4 SALE
Quote by clay pots
apparently Paypal does not cover anything that was not bought directly through an auction on Ebay. so sending money to buy a guitar through Paypal is technically no more safe than sending an envelop full of cash. here's how i found out about it:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2045144

this should probably be stickied or some other way to notify everyone of this.

THEY SUCK!
I LIKE IT RARE!
this may have been resolved, but just so you know if you fund the paypal with a cash balance you can get screwed, but if you pay by credit card you can dipute the charge with your credit card company and most of the time you will get your money back if you prove your case. the seller also has to prove theirs though.
PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy (for all other items purchased on or off eBay)

13.5 PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy

1. What is the PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy?

It is PayPal’s process to help you resolve a problem with a seller through the PayPal Resolution Center for purchases that are not eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection.

The PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy is similar to PayPal Buyer Protection in that it enables buyers to file Disputes for Items Not Received (INR), or for items that are Significantly Not as Described (SNAD). However, recovery of any amounts is not guaranteed and is limited to the amounts that PayPal can recover from the seller’s Account, even if PayPal makes a final decision in your favor.
2. What is the process for the Buyer Complaint Policy?

Similar to PayPal Buyer Protection, you must file a Dispute in the PayPal Resolution Center within 45 days of the date you sent the payment. Once you have done so, you should attempt to resolve the Dispute directly with the seller.
3. What happens if I am unable to resolve the Dispute directly with the seller?

You may escalate the Dispute to a Claim within 20 days of the date you filed the Dispute. PayPal will make a final decision for some - but not all - Claims.

PayPal will generally make a final decision for an Item Not Received (INR) Claim, but will not make a final decision for a Significantly Not as Described (SNAD) Claim, or Claims involving the following purchases: intangible items, licenses, airline flight tickets, services, vehicles, live auctions, real estate, classified ads on eBay, or other items as determined by PayPal (collectively “Ineligible Items&rdquo. This means that unless the seller voluntarily refunds your money, you will not recover any amounts for a SNAD Claim or a Claim for an Ineligible Item filed under the Buyer Complaint Policy.
4. What if PayPal makes a final decision in my favor?

If PayPal makes a final decision in your favor, we will collect any available funds in the seller’s PayPal balance at that time. However, recovery is not guaranteed and is limited only to the amounts that PayPal can recover from the seller’s Account. Any amounts collected from the seller will be placed in your Account.

You're covered if they never ship it, but not if it's significantly not as described if it was a non-ebay transaction.
I wish there was another way to pay other than paypal...its a monopoly