Hi everyone!,

My name is matthew Iv'e had my guitars for a while but only recently have i had the drive to play haha im a bit of a pot head so lets just say this week in sobriety has yeilded positive results. Anyway here is my problem Im using a bc rich s.o.b a real sweet guitar. Its a no frills hardcore death machine. The amp Im using is a Smart II s silvertone basically a beginners amp. Well I turn on the distortion which is key for the type of music i want to play and i hit all the strings and they should ring clearly with a roar but all i get is the sounds muddled up and it gets louder and it just sounds like really loud static. It doesn't sound at all like anything it just sounds like noise. It has become a problem because its put me off on rocking out. I know that my amp is capable of giving me power house sound because my friend was over one day and he messed with my guitar and amp and was able to crank out cd quality metallica. My guitar is tuned and my amp is hardly used for obvious reasons. It's just really fustrating that I cant manage to get good sound out of it. Please if anyone can help and tell me what im doing wrong or what i have to do. I dont want to spend money on another amp if this one can cut it. Thank you all.

-Matthew-
Do you know how to play at all or are you just strumming open strings?

If you have the volume at any reasonable volume with distortion you can get feedback if the guitar is close to the amp as well.
Schecter C-1 XXX (with SD Dave Mustaine Livewire Actives)
Roland Cube 60
That amp can't cut it unfortunately, it's very basic and not particularly good - you'll either have to suck it up and deal with it or save up for something better.

Also, don't underestimate the effect that your own ability, or lack thereof, will have on how good things sound.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well the way I see it, it might be just like me. I used to think my amp had good sound and that the only problem was my playing, but after time I realised my amp does sound really bad. When I started noticing, I read reviews of it and yeah, I was right. It's a MG15.

Yeah like everyone says, your playing is the first thing that makes you sound good. But the thing is, you can play something good on a really bad amp and it will sound bad. When I play a riff perfectly with my current amp, it sounds bad. Depending on long you've been playing, you might want to get something a little better. And about your friend playing Metallica cd quality, that might be because at the time, you thought your amp sounded good.

Anyways that's what happened to me, but you should start thinking about a new amp, depending on how long you've been playing.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by dhoyft
Do you know how to play at all or are you just strumming open strings?

If you have the volume at any reasonable volume with distortion you can get feedback if the guitar is close to the amp as well.

yeah, just change your settng around until you get a sound you like, dont expect anything too awesome though, you got cheap sh*t

and are you just hitting random strings? or just strumming open strings? because that would make you stupid
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Ok,

When my friend played, the amp was not more than five feet away and i knew it sounded good because there was absolutley no feedback I mean non at all the riff he was doing was clear as hells bells. When I hit for example the sixth open string and the 4th open string just alternating between the 2 the sound still gets muddled up together and it sounds awful, I mean awful. And yes When i hit all the open strings on distortion it sounds like ****. Even when i play power chords on regular tuning not drop d or anything the sound is not clear, its fuzzy like it sounds like the chord but it also sounds blurry and fuzzy. Ive heard of musicians getting good sound out of not particularly good amps. Also my friend messed with the actual guitar(Ie:the tuning pegs) which in my opinion helped alot, and man was it loud. (He plays professional bass by the way)
ive done everything im supposed to do, Ive used an electronic tuner, Ive stringed the guitar perfectly but its still muddled. Id be more than happy to post some recordings and go step by step to figure out this problem. just sorta new to the guitar world . Should i set the treble and bass and overdrive to something specific? , does that even matter? I just want so bad to play , I want to start my own band but this is going to make me want to put my guitar away forever.

ps. Wtf is that awful whine coming from the amp when im not even playing! I hate that it makes me want to kick my amp across the room and tell it to shut the F Up. Yeah I have anger issues. ^_^

Fustrated and confused

-Matthew-
Last edited by Haunted_embrace at Jul 31, 2008,
First and formost, I had to learn patients with learning this instument. I learned it's either "kicking and screaming" or "quietly" and I chose the latter after trial and error (short-cuts).

If you frustrate easily, you are in for a rough ride my friend.

Chris
Hitting "all the open strings on distortion" sounds like crap even if you're Steve Vai.

The amp is crap, and something better would probably be a little more forgiving, in that you wouldn't have to struggle quite so much to make things sound acceptable. If you have cruddy equipment then the ability of the player plays an even bigger part in making things sound nice. However, I'm afraid that the biggest problem here is simply that you can't play the guitar very well yet. You're just going to have to be patient, knuckle down and practice....and lay of the pot, that won't help your learning much
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I was just so sure that you could basically do anything you want on distortion and it would sound good. Maybe it is my amp. A better amp would have things like noise cancellation and the sound would clean up much better? am I right?. I will continue on my journey and I will continue to frequent these forums until I like my rock ancestors before me become everything im meant to be. thank you everyone.

ps. I checked amazon for the reviews on the amp and it was mixed. Some people loved it some people hated it. oh well.

not so fustrated and not so confused anymore.

-matthew-
Last edited by Haunted_embrace at Aug 1, 2008,
Far from it - lots of things that sound good with a clean tone can sound dissonant with distortion, even normal open chords don't always sound that great which is why rock players tend to favour barre chords or simple root and 5th power chords.

A better amp would just sound better, it's not about noise cancellation or anything like that really, better amps simply make nicer noises.

Like I said before though, your basic technique and general ability is usually the biggest culprit when things don't sound good - if you can't play very well then you can't play very well, and changing your equipment won't alter that fact...only practicing and getting better will.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc