Hey guys, John Frusciante is like one of my biggest idols, and favourite guitarist. And im still a beginner, only been playing a year, but I was wondering what sort of techniques he uses. I see him doing like shred style, but with a funky twist. What sort of scales and techniques should I try to sort of getting into his style a bit. Thanks guys!
I don't normally do this but for something like this...

Use the ****ing search bar!
Quote by david9d5
You, my friend, win in epic proportions

Quote by sharpshootr55

Man... now I gotta clean my laptop screen.

Quote by ozzyismetal
^That has too much win for me to handle....
I think I need a glass of water and a nap.

search for him on YouTube. He's got an video that will teach you Under the Bridge.

He doesn't usually bar chords with his index finger. He hooks his thumb over the top of the neck a lot. His style of playing is similar to Jimi Hendrix (imo).

If I were you, I'd pick up a RHCP songbook or download some tabs right here, learn some tunes and try to play along with the music. Search for live video and watch what he does.

As for scales and technique, you've got a lot to learn, but start with blues scales and memorize the major and minor pentatonic in all positions. Experiment with patterns and intervals. Practice makes perfect.
Quote by Wasted Resource
search for him on YouTube. He's got an video that will teach you Under the Bridge.

He doesn't usually bar chords with his index finger. He hooks his thumb over the top of the neck a lot. His style of playing is similar to Jimi Hendrix (imo).

If I were you, I'd pick up a RHCP songbook or download some tabs right here, learn some tunes and try to play along with the music. Search for live video and watch what he does.

As for scales and technique, you've got a lot to learn, but start with blues scales and memorize the major and minor pentatonic in all positions. Experiment with patterns and intervals. Practice makes perfect.

isn't the pentatonic the same in every position?
Quote by tona_107
isn't the pentatonic the same in every position?

No, for instance the A minor pentatonic scale looks like this in the 5th position:

|------------------------------------5--8------
|------------------------------5--8------------
|------------------------5--7------------------
|------------------5--7------------------------
|------------5--7------------------------------
|------5--8------------------------------------

But it looks like this in the 3rd position:

|------------------------------------3--5------
|------------------------------3--5------------
|------------------------2--5------------------
|------------------2--5------------------------
|------------3--5------------------------------
|------3--5------------------------------------

Use this website as a reference:
http://all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=3&scch=G&scchnam=Pentatonic+Minor&get2=Get
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Thanks alot guys, I mean I know about hooking your thumb over, and i've watched his video on Youtube, MANY a time =] But I mean for like his soloing/songwriting, like I watch him solo, and I know he is a VERY experienced player, but I mean like when he solo's he knows where to hit and where not to, what is melodic ect... So which I guess is due to scales, I know the A Minor Penatonic, and I think the blues scale, could you like give me others? I heard of Phygorian (sp), but it confuses the Sh*t out of me!

Thanks guys
cyberfret.com

Enjoy yourself!
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

yea im kinda obsessed with john too. just practice practice practice. some of the more fun songs to play are scar tissue, otherside, cant stop, readymade, and most importantly under the bridge!!! get fast on the scales and you should be able to get the readymade solo with alot of practice. it sounds amazing. i guess just practice a **** ton, and soon you'll get the hang of it.
I can play Scar Tissue, Can't Stop, Readymade and Under the bridge =] Never tried Otherside, guess I should, im always listen to Californication on my Ipod. So i'll give it a go! =]
Here's my advice. It may sound naive to some experienced players with extensive knowledge of theory.

Learn some basic scales and work with them to build up finger strength and speed, then use your ears to make the scales sound "better". Basically, change the notes you are playing so they flow the way you like them. So you'll end up playing a different scale than what you started with or you'll be skipping notes. Write the notes you're playing down in tab or whatever, then figure out what scale you "discovered".

I have found it is easier to just play, and then figure out what I'm doing afterward, than it is to memorize a scale and try to figure out what to do with it. I think in patterns instead of notes. I watch other player's hands.

When trying to play like John, think "WWJFD?".