Hi, not sure if this is the right forum but oh well. Anyway, I'm 14 and I've been teaching myself guitar now for about 2 years, and I practice 4 or 5 hours a day, anyway, i play blues based rock and roll and classic rock, I've decided if i want to be truly good at the guitar then i should study more areas of it and I've decided to learn some jazz. Can someone give me a few simple guitar based jazz songs to learn?
Dave
Please go to the sticky that says "Suggest Me a Song" and delete this thread. From what I know, which isn't anything at all, "Autumn Leaves" is basically the standard song to start out with.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by GuitaPlaya
You don't learn jazz by copying songs note for note.

He's a self-taught guitar player for 2 years. Do you expect him to be able to be able to chord melody solo from scratch?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
listen to alot... and i mean ALOT of jazz. then imitate the way they are playing and how they are making the guitar sound.
Quote by hardrockerdave9
You see my point is I don't really listen to jazz so don't know any good songs, can you suggest some

again, delete this thread and go to the "suggest me a song" sticky that's in place to get rid of threads like this, ironically.

Ok, psych.

... I forgot about those Sotm. Mark did a great job with them. When they first came out they were way over my head so I didn't say anything.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jul 31, 2008,
Quote by GuitaPlaya
You don't learn jazz by copying songs note for note.

This is a bit misleading. In concert, you don't want to play another guy's solo note-for-note, but you can learn a great deal about jazz soloing by transcribing and analyzing solos or comping.

To be fair, some jazz teachers don't believe transcribing is the best use of an aspiring jazz player's time, but many teachers that I've encountered encourage listening, internalizing the playing and then transcribing it.

To the threadstarter: here are a couple of jazz tunes that were analyzed by a user called elven: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3749949 They're fairly straightforward jazz tunes, although the chord changes are all that's listed.

If you find the articles confusing, you might want to brush up on your theory so that you can discuss jazz with people on here. Also, if you want some inspiration for soloing on these songs, the Blues and Jazz forum could help you find some versions to listen to.

This sort of thing usually goes in the "Suggest me a song" thread, but I'll leave it open in case the threadstarter wants to ask questions about the theory associated with jazz.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
why dont you just listen to a ton of jazz songs, find some you like and learn them? like just do a youtube search for jazz or something, or do a search for, best jazz songs, or jazz song tabs? is this thread really neccessary?
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs