iight ive been playin bass for about 2 years now and i mostly play Red Hot Chili Peppers. SHould i listn to sum other bands cuz i only listen to Red Hot Chili Peppers cuz they actually have challenging bass lines. the newest 1 ive learned was Skinny Sweaty man
if you're asking the question, you know what the answer is.
unless you plan on replacing flea....
Quote by tona_107

unless you plan on replacing flea....

someone should, might get a bit of peace and quiet instead of people going on about how brilliant he is
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
+1 to both answers, if you want some bands but the same sort of bass playing check out the father of slap bass larry graham and his band graham central station
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
First 3 Metallica Records
2 minutes to midnight/Wrathchild by Iron Maiden
Faith No More records
Look up Chas Chandler, Billy Sheen
Primus records
Listen to The Crusade (song)/Becoming the Dragon by Trivium
Dream Theater

I know it's largley Metal but you'll learn even more techniques from those bands and records
what he comes up with off the cuff is pretty amazing, but yeah learn stuff from other bands, learn radiohead basslines that are the complete opposite
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
If you really want to play RHCP, why not just take Flea's basslines and modify them to make your own? Still better than just covering them all the time, at least you're doing something creative.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Listen to more stuff. Try some Atheist, Cynic, Racer X, and Primus. And please, type right; it makes it easier for everyone to read.
The Chili Peppers are THE BEST BAND EVER!! but its always good to have diversity in music, i think u should try some other bands, Rage against the machine, The Offspring, w/e bands u like really lol
WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS
YOU GET A NEW GOD!!!!
Quote by CaptainJack666
someone should, might get a bit of peace and quiet instead of people going on about how brilliant he is

XDXD agreed..... try geddy lee basslines they will challenge you!
Muse. then try some Talas, a little Primus, and if you really want some challenges, try Micheal Manring.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by scootlaundry
The Chili Peppers are THE BEST BAND EVER!! but its always good to have diversity in music, i think u should try some other bands, Rage against the machine, The Offspring, w/e bands u like really lol

Have you listened to every band in the world??
And TS just venture more deeply into a new genre for you, such as funk or jazz like anarkee mentioned, or even country or reggae or something.

I think funk would be especially good for you to get into, you seem to enjoy flea's basslines so learning where his inspirations come from would benefit you if you're trying to come up with some Flea inspired bass, instead of just sounding like a clone.

And Anarkee what would be some good artists if I was looking to get into jazz? Preferably something bass orientated?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Last edited by ScottB. at Aug 1, 2008,
Quote by ScottB.
Have you listened to every band in the world??
And TS just venture more deeply into a new genre for you, such as funk or jazz like anarkee mentioned, or even country or reggae or something.

I think funk would be especially good for you to get into, you seem to enjoy flea's basslines so learning where his inspirations come from. And Anarkee what would be some good artists if I was looking to get into jazz? Preferably something bass orientated?

Although I am not anarkee, I would recommend having a listen to Tower of Power, Parliament and Sly and the Family Stone to get started.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Although I am not anarkee, I would recommend having a listen to Tower of Power, Parliament and Sly and the Family Stone to get started.

Thanks jack but you seem to have misread that a bit, unless i pressed the wrong buttons but i want jazz recommendations. However no doubt what you suggested would the help TS if he does decide to get into funk.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115