ive been playing for like 2 months and i took lessons the first month..
but the teacher was just taking my 15 dollars to teach me chords that i can do on my own.. so i quit them
and im on my own..
i can play stuff like smells like teen spirit and blink 182 songs
its really starting to bore me
and im just trying to get a little farther..
i need some suggestions on things that will help me progress
im open to anything
i'm in the same boat as you, in a way at least

ive been playing for 2 months but im not bored in the slightest just cause i work on barre chords, minor pentatonic shapes, memorizing the fret board (not as hard as it sounds) and then just practicing songs that i like and can play well while messing around with all the settings/effects i can get with my gear (i swear you can spend soo much time doing that)

anyway, if your bored go out and look in the lessons/columns sections of this site and look for thing you can practice and check out "the crusade" in the columns if you wanna try theory out.

justinguitar.com is another great place to learn new things aswell

have fun ^^
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
He couldn't have taught you harder stuff, you need to start at the basics.

I presume you've learnt all the open chords, barre chords, power chords, and any other chords by now?

What type of music are you into? Find a band you like and learn their easier songs, but make sure to challenge yourself (reasonably).

Try and learn a new technique everyday (Legato, alt picking, tremolo picking, etc.)

Just keep yourself busy, and make sure you're always improving. Look into theory too.
i listen to just about everything.
im not to good at bar chords at all but ill work on them
i guess im giving up on things to easy..
ill try something and not be able to and just quit..
Quote by Green_Panda
ive been playing for like 2 months and i took lessons the first month..
but the teacher was just taking my 15 dollars to teach me chords that i can do on my own.. so i quit them
and im on my own..
i can play stuff like smells like teen spirit and blink 182 songs
its really starting to bore me
and im just trying to get a little farther..
i need some suggestions on things that will help me progress
im open to anything

learn the solo to teen spirit.
Quote by Green_Panda
i have

just learn more easy songs that you like to develop a rudimentary skills base that you can build off.
What are your goals in learning guitar?

Do you want to write your own songs? Do you just want to play other people's songs? Do you want to play along with a group? etc. What kind of music do you like?

If you can answer these questions it will point you in the direction you need to go. Ultimately, your desire to practice is guided by your passions. No passion, no desire. What makes you excited about playing guitar? Pursue that.
Quote by Green_Panda
i listen to just about everything.
im not to good at bar chords at all but ill work on them
i guess im giving up on things to easy..
ill try something and not be able to and just quit..

Learn barre chords then.

Once you've learnt them it opens a whole new world of songs you can learn to play.
Quote by rhettro
What are your goals in learning guitar?

Do you want to write your own songs? Do you just want to play other people's songs? Do you want to play along with a group? etc. What kind of music do you like?

If you can answer these questions it will point you in the direction you need to go. Ultimately, your desire to practice is guided by your passions. No passion, no desire. What makes you excited about playing guitar? Pursue that.

that makes sense..
thanks man
At two months, i was learning crazy train, paranoid and iron man bit by bit.
Quote by ringo710
At two months, i was learning crazy train, paranoid and iron man bit by bit.

Congratulations, you win a pony.
You need more songs to pick apart.

Learning songs is a good way to learn guitar but you gotta learn the stuff involved in that song. What key is it and what chords are used in it? Stuff like that.

When your teacher showed you the chords did he say anything about them? Something like ok, we're gonna play in G and here's three chords for you to practice with, G, C, and D. Later we'll learn the minors, blah, blah.
You should learn "we're not gonna take it" by twisted sister.
Thrashing is my business and business is good
Bored??

Seems that you really dont have any interest to REALLY learn guitar.

You havent even begun to scratch the surface of playing guitar and you are bored already???

Thats nuts!!! There are guitar wizards that have been playing for years and they are still facinated and captivated by the 'mysteries' of the guitar.

Theres TONS of stuff to explore and learn. Anyone thats really interested in learning guitar cant used boredom as an excuse.

My two pennies..... I could be way off base though.