Just a quick question,

What is the difference between Midi Controllers, Hardware Synths, Keyboard Controllers and Normal Keyboards?

I want something I can put just next to my set up, for mucking about on, playing piano tunes but I'd also want to use for Midi controlling as well? Is this possible or do I need more than one thing?

My understanding of Midi controlling is that Midi gives the computer information about the lenghth, pitch, dynamics etc of a note and then on the computer you choose soft synths for this info to trigger?

Cheers
Quote by soundcheck1
Just a quick question,

What is the difference between Midi Controllers, Hardware Synths, Keyboard Controllers and Normal Keyboards?

I want something I can put just next to my set up, for mucking about on, playing piano tunes but I'd also want to use for Midi controlling as well? Is this possible or do I need more than one thing?

My understanding of Midi controlling is that Midi gives the computer information about the lenghth, pitch, dynamics etc of a note and then on the computer you choose soft synths for this info to trigger?

Cheers

MIDI Controller/keyboard controller - Hardware with keyboard type setup or pads and knobs used to control on screen settings. MIDI in and out.

Hardware Synth - keyboard or rack mount unit with on board sounds, MIDI input/output as well as audio outs.

Keyboard - On board sounds, usually MIDI on board but mostly made to be played alone on stage.

Soft Synth - same as a hardware synth only in program format. Example is Session Drummer 2.

Go and get yourself a keyboard with on board sounds and MIDI in and out. I use a Yamaha PSR340 in my studio and the on board sounds are fair but I mostly use it to trigger MIDI.

whats our budget?