So yesterday I went to guitar center and lo and behold they had the new 08 Gibson Les Paul Standard. According to the people there they are the first guitar center to get one. First to play it too (first consumer to play a 08 standard baby w00t) I was gonna test it through a JVM but it wasnt plugged in (ggrrr) So I moved on to a Peavey ValveKing (I dont understand why some people hate them) The asymetrical neck is a new feature, but you dont really feel how it is different unless you're playing it standing up. The pots are uber-slick, they turn so easily it seems a little out of control. It also has a see-thru back plate which reveals a circuit board which all the pots connect too.
The grover locking tuners are a plus. They stay in tune even when you let of merciless bends (which often sends my Studio's G string way out of tune)
Tone wise this thing is a beast. If theres a tone you're looking for in a guitar, this is the one to get. It can be shimmering bright for high gain solos, or smooth and mellow rhythm tones for the ultimate clean tone.
Many people dislike Les Paul's due to their weight, whereas some love the weight. Well both will love the new Standard. Its got just enough weight so you know that its there yet not so much weight as to kill your shoulders.

Personally I would give it a 5/5
What are your opinions?
I don't need a signature to tell you I don't need a signature!
Gibsons QC is **** this these days on Gibson USA models. I bought my les paul back in 2002 and had to go through 3 different ones before I found one that I thought was satisfactory.

I also has a certain disdain for the new chambered bodies. To me, it just doesn't feel like a les paul unless its heavy.

The next les paul I buy will be a R8. I generally steer clear of their standard production models.
havent had my hands on the new 08 but my pre 08 model does me just fiiiiiiine. should be a great new guitar though
Sounds pretty cool.

I'll try one out soon.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
What's it's price?
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008 (Desert Burst)
-ESP HORIZON FR II
-Squier BulletStrat
-Marshall MG100HDFX
-Marshall AVT412A
-Fender Frontman 15G
-Digitech RPx400
-Boss (MT-2, MD-2, GE-7, DD-7, CE-5. TU-15, BCB-60)
bout $2,600
It's also PLEK'd so the setup is PERFECT
I don't need a signature to tell you I don't need a signature!
Quote by jafar007
bout $2,600
It's also PLEK'd so the setup is PERFECT

Too much for me....
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008 (Desert Burst)
-ESP HORIZON FR II
-Squier BulletStrat
-Marshall MG100HDFX
-Marshall AVT412A
-Fender Frontman 15G
-Digitech RPx400
-Boss (MT-2, MD-2, GE-7, DD-7, CE-5. TU-15, BCB-60)