got some flats for my bass. They feel not smooth and zippy, but instead a bit sticky and slow. Does this wear off, or do the strings "break in"? because if it doesn't i'm going to hate flatwounds
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Resisting the Urge to Fap since 8/11/08
However, I lost in 3 days.
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already

They wear in eventually. What brand did you get?

The reason it's sticky and grabby on your fingers is because your fingertips are crossing a wider surface of stainless steel.

D'Addario Chromes are usually smoooove right out of the box, but Rotosound flats are almost like roundwounds in terms of brightness. Thomastik Infeld's are the best, but I can't justify spending $80 on strings....

EDIT: ah yes, and what type of music will you be playing? If you're buying flats for metal, you'll probably be pretty upset with them, but for jazz, r&b, indie-rock, reggae.... flats are where it's at! They have a big bottom and midrange, and no high end or sustain.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Jul 31, 2008,
hahaha, I like all kinds of stuff
I'm probably going to mess around with Cynic and Death stuff. Mind you this is for my FRETLESS bass, forgot to mention XD
the way I see it, metal can work with fretless, pretty well imo.

I got chromes, and they aren't quick as smooth as you say. They stick a bit.
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already

What are you using - GHS flats? They're grippy, like stainless rounds, and I love that. Just me, though.

But yeah, Fender flats are pretty smooth, D'Addario like glass. Dean Markley's the same. However, the stickiness does 'wear off' - both on the strings, and how your fingertips play them. Keep at it, and I guarantee it'll get to a point you like.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^Thanks. I love the flats' tone already.
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Quote by Hobolad

i've just stuck some d'addario chrome flats on my bass- last week infact. moved over from rotosound rounds. I only found them sticky / oily for the first couple of hours if that, then now they are super smooth. it also put like a grey deposit on my fingertips during those first couple of hours, looked like i'd been in the garage rather than playing bass.
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
I just chucked a set of D'Addario chrome flats on yesterday, to finally replace the stock fender strings.
I've never played flats before, but I love them, smooth atraight out of the box.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Flats do tend to be slightly stickier right out of the box, however they shouldn't be too sticky. D'Addario also makes Half Rounds, which are the stickiest, dirtiest feeling strings I've played. They are just very soft roundwounds, and are sometimes marketed as flats. Are you SURE you got flats?

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
100% sure ^^

I made sure I didn't get half-rounds. These are Chromes, .050-.105.

and I can see that they are flats :P
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Quote by Hobolad

When I used flats i noticed the same thing. When you think about it flat wounds have a larger area for your fingers to contact - Being flat.

Round wound however are made from coils of wire around the core instead. so There's half the area being gripped by your fingers.

Well that's what popped into my mind.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!