Well not for another year but I'm starting to think about weather gear i buy would be practical while I'm in college.

I've been looking into new amps but after thinking about it I can't really find any practical use for anything large or loud as I mostly play using headphones. And I want a lot of versatility (since I switch genres so often), I don't need amazing tone but i want something decent. better to use an alternative to an amp or get a small amp.

As far as options i see these:
+Small modeling amp.
+Multi-effects processor like the line 6 podxt.
+Or possibly hooking my guitar up to my computer via USB and finding some programs to model amps and effects or something but I have absolutely no knowledge in this area so I'm not too sure about it.

So I'm basically looking for suggestions for small modeling amps, good multi effects processors and arguments for or against them and maybe suggestions for other alternatives.

I have a budget of about $400 USD but that's a bit flexible.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
.|......|....|
=--
.............|

an unsaturated fattylolcid.
i say blackheart little giant, if you were out to get a nice tone in a small box.
I'd recommend Guitarport or Toneport. . Great for practice. 99 bucks too. Best practice purchase I've made.
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
Quote by captainoid
Fender G-DEC?

+1

seriously, these things are awesome.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
Quote by imafool18
+1

seriously, these things are awesome.

Yes, this is what I used in my Dorm. It has a headphone port if you like, and tons of settings that can be changed and saved.
out of curiosity can you get any decent higher gain tones from the Fender G-DEC? and how is the tone you get from the toneport?

EDIT - actually out of curiosity has anyone messed with midi much? i was thinking of maybe installing a midi pickup in one of my guitars and from that being able to get a decent variety of sounds?

do you lose any of the fine details of the playing with it?
.|......|....|
=--
.............|

Last edited by arizonagt at Jul 31, 2008,
My sister got me an M-Audio Fastrack thingies to plug into my computer. I really like it. It's pretty straightforward once you get used to it.. My only complaint is that you need a decent processor to run it... I have 2.0 dual core macbook and it has problems catching up sometimes.... oh well! such is life.

If you want an actual amp, I suggest a smaller Ibanez MIMX... I don't own one, but I've played around with them at the music store I go to.. Pretty damn versatile.
Super-mega-ultra-neato things should go here!!
and looking around lately i stumbled across the peavey vypyr, has anyone gotten a chance to try it out yet? it looks pretty promising.
.|......|....|
=--
.............|