I think this might be the wrong section, but as I was looking through some of the tabs here (nice collection btw) I noticed that some of the songs, like Undone , say to tune the guitar down or up a 1/2 step, sorry for the stupid question, but what's a step? Also, on some of the songs, like Back in Black, what do the x's mean?
first off, the x's are dead notes. secondly, 1/2 step is the distance of one fret. like, from g to g sharp. thats a half step. so to tune down a half step it would be E flat, A flat, D flat, G, flat, B, flat, and E flat.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
1/2 step down means half step down. It means half a tone. instead to E you tune to Eb. 1/2 step means 1 fret. Idk how to explain. Use your tuner to 1 flat and tune ur guitar.
X means ''dead note''. Mute strings and play.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
1/2 step down means tune to
eb
Bb
Gb
Db
Ab
Eb

the X's are scratches, put your right hand against your strings, but not hard enough to fret anything, and strum with your pick, it will make a scratching sound.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
a when it says to tune a 1/2 step down, it means to tune the E strings to E flat the B string to B flat the G string to G flat... basically flat all the strings. the X's usually mean ghost notes
Alright, gotcha, thanks. So I'd just tune it right, than put it in about the middle of the left side of the tuner if it's flat, and the right side of the tuner if it's sharp? Thanks again.