I've got a 1987 Epiphone spotlight (pretty rare guitar, look it up if you want all the specs) and im just not really sure about what gauge of strings i should be using on the thing, from what i know its a 25.5 scale which isn't common to gibsons or epiphones... (i think). im running a 10-52 on it right now but would a 8-48 or something of that sort be better?
8-48 would buzz alot.
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
I think the normal for any guitar would be .10s. I'm not too sure on that, but all my friends use .10s and they use guitars like Warlocks, Strats, and Les Pauls.
If it's blue, then it MUST smell good.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Quote by IbanezPsycho
.10's are fine if your in standard, but if you drop down then you might want to raise it up

I think the lowest I ever tuned down was to A sharp so I could play some Dethklok. The .10s held up nicely, but it's just harder to do natural and pinch harmonics.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Quote by Disturbed137
I think the lowest I ever tuned down was to A sharp so I could play some Dethklok. The .10s held up nicely, but it's just harder to do natural and pinch harmonics.

Dethklok tunes to C standard. You went WAY too low
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome
my guitar sounds fine in D standard but thats about it... it seems pretty versitile for music like maiden and priest and im thinking of dropping the gauge down to wat they use... i only put the 10-52's on cuase thats what dave mustaine uses but really the 6th string just has too much power when i play it... no matter how i equalize the amp

EDIT:

Dave murray uses 9-42, you think that would be good if im mostly going to be playing maiden? im in the proccess of getting a more thrash style guitar so i wana keep this one for the more melodic stuff like maiden

or would somthing along the lines of adrian smith be better? a 9-46 guage... i need your guy's input
Last edited by 666IronDeth666 at Jul 31, 2008,
Quote by the Sinner
Dethklok tunes to C standard. You went WAY too low

Crap, you're right. Maybe it was Korn or something. I don't know what I tuned down that low for. But, it did sound kinda crunchy and dirty and it was pretty cool.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
lol, your wrong again disturbed, Korn tunes to drop A

oh and 10-52's are fine for any tuning, but i would still recommend getting your truss rod adjusted, just a smidgen.
yeah check out my 10 watt amp... connected to an mt-2 metal zone pedal and an ibanez iceman..... thats the rig of fantasies right there