Page 1 of 2
No bs please. Over the past couple of years, alot of insta-music create software appeared. With some simple software, an average joe can create a kickass song, in a matter of minutes, with very little musical knowledge or none at all. Also alot of people do that, and some have succeded in making semi-large of currency. I know people will say bs and say that you need insparation and hip hop or some techno track wont cut it. Well, because both hardware and software synthesizers are getting better and better at simulating various instruments, and creating new sounds, hip hop and techno is not the only thing you can create, no, classical, some forms of psychedelic music, jazz and some others genres have already succumb, so it wont be long till others genres succumb. So what do you think, pit, is music as we know will soon become another get-rich quick scheme?
nope...just different ways of making music...theres no rules to making music. there's no way of telling someone how to write music or what they use
Sig space available, give me some praise
gimme a list of people who've made a good amount of money from the music they've made using nothing but software instruments and i'll give you my opinion.
Maybe for studiopurposes yes. but people will still want to see live shows and who would want to see someone usng a computer at a show?
Quote by Metallicaxp
why would you buy hollister? Wal-mart FTW!
those computer programmes will never fully replace guitar or drums or whatever, there will still be people who want to do it 'the real way'. Sure you can make jazz on a computer now, but i don't think it will sound the same as it would coming from guitars & drums.
No, because you still have to be able to compose good music. And that is a skill which can't be faked
Quote by bannanaman
those computer programmes will never fully replace guitar or drums or whatever, there will still be people who want to do it 'the real way'. Sure you can make jazz on a computer now, but i don't think it will sound the same as it would coming from guitars & drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6QsusDS_8A

....yeah, it sounds hideously 80s
Well they are doing it for money. I do it for fun and money. If i didnt like it, I woulnd do it.

Besides, most of us in UG could write music 100x better than thery ever could, with just one instrument.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
gimme a list of people who've made a good amount of money from the music they've made using nothing but software instruments and i'll give you my opinion.

just google "List of rappers"
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
Anyone who thinks that music these days is dead doesn't listen to enough music.

i completely agree with this guy
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by LinkManDX
The problem with your theory is that the majority of money that musicians make comes from live performances, which they aren't capable of doing.

kinda like Dragonforce, 50% of the time.lol.
Talent and ability will always have the edge over gimmicks.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
i personally think that these new fancy "electric guitars" will be the downfall of music. How can you make music without an orchestra, it will be over taken by fools and get-rich quick schemes.
Quote by codenameduby
Well they are doing it for money. I do it for fun and money. If i didnt like it, I woulnd do it.

Besides, most of us in UG could write music 100x better than thery ever could, with just one instrument.

So, why aren't "most of us in UG" raking in loads of money if we write better music than professional songwriters?

Oh wait, because you're an idiot, that's why.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
I didn't know anybody could make big money from using simply Garage Band or something like that.

It's music man, if it sounds good, its good. I know there's some cheap-ass ways of making music, but the world is developing.

As long as people can appreciate the true art of composing music using talent rather than using synthesizers and **** like that, then I don't see any problem with anything of that matter as of now.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
If music will become easier, faster and cheaper to create on the computer, and you would get semi-large sums of cash, why would people bother buying real instruments, if a large amount of people wouldnt buy instruments, they would be produced less, so the amount of people that will want to produce music with real instruments, would also shorten out and some who wanted a real instrument might reconsider, (influence from culture, friends parents, and so on). Also yeah some music produced with cheap digital software does sound crappy, but some high quality software does produce somewhat realistic sounds. Also if you have noticed our digital world is getting stronger and stronger, we are producing smaller and smaller microchips.
Quote by sixwingmortal
I didn't know anybody could make big money from using simply Garage Band or something like that.

It's music man, if it sounds good, its good. I know there's some cheap-ass ways of making music, but the world is developing.

As long as people can appreciate the true art of composing music using talent rather than using synthesizers and **** like that, then I don't see any problem with anything of that matter as of now.

Surely making a song on a synthesizer counts as composing a song? Besides, if it require no talent, which I am assuming this is what you are meaning, then why aren't more of us lining our pockets with this quick, easy way to make lots of money?
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
**** cost money. If you want to earn big bucks, buy moderatly priced stuff
Quote by darthteet
Surely making a song on a synthesizer counts as composing a song? Besides, if it require no talent, which I am assuming this is what you are meaning, then why aren't more of us lining our pockets with this quick, easy way to make lots of money?

No. No. No. I mean it does take talent to compose good sounding music on a synthesizer. However, it is slightly easier. It's not like guitar or piano or any of those instruments that you've gotta learn and practice constantly to get the skills you need to compose a decent song.

I'm just saying, if people can appreciate the use of guitars, pianos, violins, drums, etc. in a song, I don't see any reason for people to hate synthesizers.
Quote by kd420
i personally think that these new fancy "electric guitars" will be the downfall of music. How can you make music without an orchestra, it will be over taken by fools and get-rich quick schemes.

point, kd420 makes a
Quote by sixwingmortal
No. No. No. I mean it does take talent to compose good sounding music on a synthesizer. However, it is slightly easier. It's not like guitar or piano or any of those instruments that you've gotta learn and practice constantly to get the skills you need to compose a decent song.

I'm just saying, if people can appreciate the use of guitars, pianos, violins, drums, etc. in a song, I don't see any reason for people to hate synthesizers.

Why the hell should they appreciate it though? I don't appreciate the use of a timpani or an accordion in music, so why the hell should I insist that other people appreciate things that I'm interested in, as a perquisite to making 'good music'?
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
There's a certain feeling that comes with playing an actual instrument. Sure, computers and synths can get to the point where they can *nearly* re-create actual guitar playing, but there's somthing about the bends, taps, slides, vibratos, hammer-ons, pull-offs, and other various techniques that come from the musician connecting with their instrument that artificial mediums will never replicate.

Not to mention playing live. People like to see someone whose accomplished at their craft and do it well with emotion, feeling, and a lot of energy. I just don't see guitars becoming obsolete anytime soon.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by darthteet
Why the hell should they appreciate it though? I don't appreciate the use of a timpani or an accordion in music, so why the hell should I insist that other people appreciate things that I'm interested in, as a perquisite to making 'good music'?

Wow, God, your a stubborn little boy, aren't you?

I'm saying if they can appreciate it. I'm not saying they should. Man, chill out.
music is for enjoyment not money in my opinion. do it because you love the music and the instrument not because you hope to get rich off of it.

it's great that more people can create music and get their ideas out there. the only thing that annoys me a bit is it sort of mocks all of the effort people put into learning an instrument well. the same way that guitar hero/rockband trivialize the guitar to the point where people on youtube say that it's harder than guitar. It (in my mind) cheapens the skills and the learning studying and other hard work that brought them.

but frankly i think that synthesized instruments will never completely take over analog instruments. they may eventually end up being way more common but no matter what you'll always have the people like myself who can enjoy the fun of digital instruments but will always prefer good old wood and metal.
.|......|....|
=--
.............|

an unsaturated fattylolcid.
Don't be dramatic. Its not as if Universities are going to replace the school jazz band with a do-it-all keyboard. Despite its commercialization, music has deep cultural roots. People may occasionally get carried away with gimmicks but at the end of the day people still want to see a live band play a song through sweat and blistered fingers, written by a person that actually put their heart into writing it. And anyway, there is no way someone can make a program that enables you to rival real musicians just by pushing a button. It doesn't work that way.
Quote by sixwingmortal
Wow, God, your a stubborn little boy, aren't you?

I'm saying if they can appreciate it. I'm not saying they should. Man, chill out.

If they can appreciate it, then what? A more enhanced enjoyment of listening to the music? Perhaps. But how does that affect the actual quality of the music, or the talent required to create said music?
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
Anyone who thinks that music these days is dead doesn't listen to enough music.

+ 7835

EDIT:

I don't see what people are arguing about. No music is good music, no music is bad music, because everybody sees things differently. I can enjoy music made on a computer, I can enjoy music made from hardworking talent. But it won't change what I like doing, which isn't sitting in front of a computer programming music. So long as people just keep doing what they enjoy, music won't die. Who could honestly think the entire industry would evolve (or devolve) to being ONLY people behind computer screens?
Last edited by Fate_of_Mind at Jul 31, 2008,
Why is sitting at a computer turning knobs and pressing buttons to create music any less authentic than strumming a chord? People are as capable of expressing themself in music wth a computer than with a guitar. Some people don't want to spend hours and hours of their life trying to learn an instrumet. Why should they be blocked off from expressing themselves? Not that making music in this way is easy, though.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct

Hip Hop producers.
Quote by Spamwise
Why is sitting at a computer turning knobs and pressing buttons to create music any less authentic than strumming a chord? People are as capable of expressing themself in music wth a computer than with a guitar. Some people don't want to spend hours and hours of their life trying to learn an instrumet. Why should they be blocked off from expressing themselves? Not that making music in this way is easy, though.

I don't really want to use any of the cliches, such as +1, or /thread, to express how much I agree with you, however I can't think of a more appropriate way.

+1
/thread
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct

Dragonforce. In the studio, they're perfect....out of the studio? It's like a cat clawing at your ears. They're really that bad live.
Quote by RoamingConflict
In Soviet Russia, GAS deals with you.

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
Quote by LinkManDX
The problem with your theory is that the majority of money that musicians make comes from live performances, which they aren't capable of doing.

Quote by Garou1911

Not to mention playing live. People like to see someone whose accomplished at their craft and do it well with emotion, feeling, and a lot of energy. I just don't see guitars becoming obsolete anytime soon.

It will work, theres this thing were this dude takes this discs, put them on this like playing thingy, its plays and theres also lots of lights and stuff, whats it called... ehh Disk Jockeys and raves . People can just put on a fancy light show, stand infront of the crowd, and play the music, and check that everything goes smoothly. Because i once saw a dj who did nothing but dance, semi-listenable song though, i was forced to go there, alot of people cheered, though, but nice light show
^I don't think people go to rave's for the same reason people go to concerts..
Quote by Haedadru
It will work, theres this thing were this dude takes this discs, put them on this like playing thingy, its plays and theres also lots of lights and stuff, whats it called... ehh Disk Jockeys and raves . People can just put on a fancy light show, stand infront of the crowd, and play the music, and check that everything goes smoothly. Because i once saw a dj who did nothing but dance, semi-listenable song though, i was forced to go there, alot of people cheered, though, but nice light show

There are different types of music than dance music though... >.>
Page 1 of 2