Im in desperate need of a new amp and I'm thinking why not get a tube amp. I want one loud enough to be heard over a drumset and bass, so I can jam with freinds.

I'm looking at these two right now. What do you think?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V5-5W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487050

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18112-18W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487051
what's your budget? music style? current rig?
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
I have a MIM HSS fender. My amp is a peice of **** 15 watt crate amp. I can't make it any louder than an acoustic without it distorting. I like to play classic rock, and I would like to get into some jazz and blues. My budget is under 300 if possible.

I also have a question. Do tube amps sound good even at low volumes? I have heard from various people taht they need to be turned up to sound good. I want to be able to play quietly at home as to not piss off my parents/neighbors, so this would be an issue for me.
They sound perfectly fine turned down. It's just that turned up, it gets better rather than worse, like a SS amp. I'd get the V18. It'll keep up with a band better.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
another option would be to get a black heart or an epi valve junior, I know your budget is 300 your going to need a little more than that...But it would be worth the money to save a little longer.
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
get a crate v50 from axemusic.com, they are giving them away for 250 brand new, juust bought one myself. 50 tube watts, plenty of power there for ya, and basically just a luder upgraded v18.
Quote by JoePerry4life
get a crate v50 from axemusic.com, they are basically just a luder upgraded v18.

No, they aren't. The V18 uses 2 - EL84 power tubes, the V50 uses 6L6's. They are both great amps depending on the clean headroom you need.
Well I don't know if i need 50 tube watts. I think thats probably WAY too loud. How do tube amps compare to SS of equal wattage as far as how loud they are? On a review I read about the 5w blackheart amp says that its about as loud as a 65 watt SS. Is that right? I'm thinkin that 5 watts is more than enough, especially since my funds are kind of limited. I would much rather get an amp now than play through my piece of **** amp.

Anybody know if blackheart amps are on display at guitar center? I want to go try one out.
Last edited by greekorican5 at Aug 1, 2008,
If you are ever going to be playing with a drummer you would want a little more than 5 watts. Yes, 5 watts of tube is very loud, but not enough to play anything clean next to a normal drummer. (If there is such a thing, ha.) Anyway, call GC, not sure what they have on the floor currently. Try the Blackheart 15 watt, the Crate V18 and the Valve Standard (If they have come out yet, new line by Epi - actually an old line brought back).
Quote by gregs1020
http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemID=63082&TempID=2
Don't ask me why Sam Ash is giving these things away at $230. I loved the amp when I tried it. V18-112 gets my rec.

The next time I see a "what amp" thread asking if they should get an MG, or some other not so good amp, I'll refer them to that amp!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
The next time I see a "what amp" thread asking if they should get an MG, or some other not so good amp, I'll refer them to that amp!

Exactly. As long as you don't want metal directly from it yea. Clean headroom around a drummer is another potential issue for some, but the V50 is only $50 more & is also pretty sweet sounding.
Quote by gregs1020
If you are ever going to be playing with a drummer you would want a little more than 5 watts. Yes, 5 watts of tube is very loud, but not enough to play anything clean next to a normal drummer. (If there is such a thing, ha.) Anyway, call GC, not sure what they have on the floor currently. Try the Blackheart 15 watt, the Crate V18 and the Valve Standard (If they have come out yet, new line by Epi - actually an old line brought back).

Well I'm not too concerned about being able to play clean. I want to be able to get that overdriven sound and relatively low volumes, so thatt i can practice at home without pissing off my parents. Im really leaning towards the blackhart 5 watt. Could I keep up with the drummer without blowing out my speakers, damaging the amp at all, and still have good tone?
I actually made a thread about trying the V18 a few days ago:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=923505&highlight=Crate+V18

I'm considering getting one.

BTW, if you decide you want it, it's 100 bucks cheaper at SamAsh than at MF.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.