Just picked up a used Peavey 5150 head, the dude had pulled the 2 outside tubes, and I am just curious what that exactly does.
I read somewhere that it means its only running on 60 watts and whatnot, but I'm new to tubes so I don't really know what the deal is here.
Basically, I would just like to know if this will effect the sound, and what else it does.

Also, any tips on making this bad boy sound any better?

Thanks!
Quote by Bubban
Can I just hide behind a tree and masturbate?
Is it a bad thing? Because from what I've read alot of people do it.
Quote by Bubban
Naaa its fine alot of people do it and its even in most manuals stated that is ok to do and how to do it. Some like it because you can crank the amp up a bit louder and get power tube saturation and others like the pure 120 watts so they leave all the tubes in.. Its a prefrence thing. I have heard it can mess with the dynamics of the amp but I havent witnessed it.
Sweet, thanks a lot man! Any good tips on making this the best it can be?
Quote by Bubban
It halfs the output to 60 watts, but beware this also affects the ohm output of the output transformer. Its usually half of what it was previous.
Quote by gagemc.
Sweet, thanks a lot man! Any good tips on making this the best it can be?

Eq pedal, OD pedal, Chorus pedal, Delay pedal and good cab and you should be set man...

Even without that she is still a beast....
Quote by JaGi
It halfs the output to 60 watts, but beware this also affects the ohm output of the output transformer. Its usually half of what it was previous.

what do i do about that
Quote by Bubban
Quote by gagemc.
what do i do about that

Set impedence on back of head to 8 ohm, hook up to 4 ohm on cab, or 16 and 8.

also get a ME-50 for effects
thanks for all the help!
Quote by Bubban
Quote by kayman121

also get a ME-50 for effects

Why? It's only gonna suck tone and the effects aren't that great.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Why? It's only gonna suck tone and the effects aren't that great.

what would you suggest for minimal tone suckage and good price/value
An overdrive pedal (bad monkey) eq pedal (fish n chips, put this in the loop)

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by gtr_101
An overdrive pedal (bad monkey) eq pedal (fish n chips, put this in the loop)

umm....what about delay/reverb/compressor
Quote by kayman121
what would you suggest for minimal tone suckage and good price/value

Well, it's a compromise, you really won't get a good MFX for cheap. The best effects are single pedals, so you kinda have to decide how important the effects are to you.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by kayman121
umm....what about delay/reverb/compressor

You don't need those things, an overdrive and a eq are pretty much essentials to pedalboards, delays and reverbs and stuff are really just preference

Quote by gtr_101
You don't need those things, an overdrive and a eq are pretty much essentials to pedalboards, delays and reverbs and stuff are really just preference

reverb maybe, but for delay id beg to differ :-)

i think i might go with a...

Lexicon MX200 Rack Unit for Reverb/Delay/Chorus
Bad Monkey
Fisn n Chips EQ
BBE Sonic Maximizer Stomp
Last edited by kayman121 at Jul 31, 2008,
that sounds like a good setup you'll run, be sure to update us with how it sounds

At the point where your going with a rack unit, why go lower on the other effects? Why not go for something like a Maxon OD808 for overdrive and the ten band MXR EQ?
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Quote by PunkRocker33133
At the point where your going with a rack unit, why go lower on the other effects? Why not go for something like a Maxon OD808 for overdrive and the ten band MXR EQ?

budget...also....who said rack is always>stomp? for things like OD i always prefer stomp anyways (as i only use it for solos and such)
i admit tho...id rather get the BBE in rack form...but **** man im gettin that thing for 30 bux from a friend lol!
Allot of people say that the 5150's run a little cold, If you got the extra cash go ahead and get it modded so that the tubes can run a little hotter.
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
TBH ive heard a lot of clips and read a lot of reviews, and talked to jerry himself....I dont really crank it up past 4-5 when a warmer bias would really matter. from what ive heard, the lower the volume the better it sounds at a colder bias. also, i checked mine and it came 17ma from factory. thats fine for me as the tone i get out of my 6505 is just fine as is. if it aint broke dont fix it
Ok I see, I thought you were going to acutally use it, not just keep it at bedroom level
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
haha dude 4-5 is huge venue gig level ...i turn it up or down depending on weather the neighbors are home. i run insane resonance and bass so houses miles away shake when i crank it