I just won a bid on ebay for a "Rare Alvarez RD21S Acoustic Guitar." The final price was $120 plus the $30 shipping.

Looking at the Alvarez site, I can tell its an Alvarez Masterworks Regent Dreadnought, but the model number is not listed. Obviously its from an earlier decade.

Does anybody know when the guitar was made or anything about it - there is little to no information on the net? Thanks!!

Serial # F507180014

Pictures:

nice find....i have a common alvarez rd8c. it's a good guitar.
How bout' no you crazy Dutch Bastard!

You live in the middle of nowhere? THEN BLOW **** UP!

Pretty Heavy and thick??...Sounds like a wasp fucking an Exhaust pipe...Its Rubbish!
Thanks. I'm just trying to find out where this thing came from?! It's quoted "Rare" and when searched in Google, the only results are the ebay listing which I just won.

It seems to be nowhere.. but you can see on the alvarez site that there are rd20s, 10s, 8s, 6s....

It seems to have nice hardware (gold keys, turquoise/pearl knobs) so I don't believe this is some beginner or rip-off guitar.
Quote by RileyB
I just won a bid on ebay for a "Rare Alvarez RD21S Acoustic Guitar." The final price was $120 plus the $30 shipping.

Looking at the Alvarez site, I can tell its an Alvarez Masterworks Regent Dreadnought, but the model number is not listed. Obviously its from an earlier decade.

Does anybody know when the guitar was made or anything about it - there is little to no information on the net? Thanks!!

Serial # F507180014

Sorry, but no. To the best of my knowlege, Alvarez doesn't make a "Masterworks Regent" guitar. It's one or the other series. If you take a look at the model names of Alvarez guitars, they tell you which series any particular guitar is from. RD20 is a Regent series Dreadnaught. AJ60 is an Artist series Jumbo. MD500 is a Masterworks series Dreadnaught. See? Something is seriously fishy about that guitar. It looks like a standard Regent series Dreadnaught, but it has white binding around the body, and gold tuners, neither of which Alvarez currently installs on their Regent series. The Masterworks line will not have dot position markers on the fretboard, but a single diagonal across the fretboard at the 12th fret. It looks to be a combo of both the Regents and Masterworks, which makes me highly suspicius of this guitar, that combined with the rediculously low price. If it were a Masterworks, you should not have gotten it for a mere $120, unless the seller was an idiot. Try contacting Alvarez directly(go to their contacts section of their web site) and explain this to them, and be sure to include the serial number. If it's a bogus guitar, I'm sure they want to be aware of it.
Quote by LeftyDave
Sorry, but no. To the best of my knowlege, Alvarez doesn't make a "Masterworks Regent" guitar. It's one or the other series. If you take a look at the model names of Alvarez guitars, they tell you which series any particular guitar is from. RD20 is a Regent series Dreadnaught. AJ60 is an Artist series Jumbo. MD500 is a Masterworks series Dreadnaught. See? Something is seriously fishy about that guitar. It looks like a standard Regent series Dreadnaught, but it has white binding around the body, and gold tuners, neither of which Alvarez currently installs on their Regent series. The Masterworks line will not have dot position markers on the fretboard, but a single diagonal across the fretboard at the 12th fret. It looks to be a combo of both the Regents and Masterworks, which makes me highly suspicius of this guitar, that combined with the rediculously low price. If it were a Masterworks, you should not have gotten it for a mere $120, unless the seller was an idiot. Try contacting Alvarez directly(go to their contacts section of their web site) and explain this to them, and be sure to include the serial number. If it's a bogus guitar, I'm sure they want to be aware of it.

Damn. I was worried it was a fake. It was cheap so thats not too bad.. I will have to see how it plays. Hopefully its good. I will contact them and let you know what they say..

Thanks.
Sorry for the double post.

The picture on the right is the RD20S.. the left is the so called "RD21S" -

Comparing them.. they have the same Bridge/Pins/Saddle Same masterworks headstock.. but the RD21S has gold and turquoise pearl tuners.. the fingerboard is the same with the inlay, and the pickguard is the same except the rd21s has a red one.. which I couldn't find an RD20S with a red pickguard on musicians friend or on the alvarez site.

I'm so confused! I'll look at the label when I receive it. But I guess for now I'll have to call it an RD20S..
Triple Post... I'm so sorry!

Great news though -

---------

The RD21S was a special item sold only through Bert Murdoch Music stores in Utah. It is simply a fancy version of the RD20S if I remember correctly. It does not appear in any Alvarez literature, and was only a one-time deal of about 100 guitars. The original list price was $369.

Tom Kruszka
Alvarez

---------

Meaning i got a rare 1/100 special RD20S for $150 list price around $400.

Woo!
woah thats awesome, nice find man.
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"