I mean,when it comes down to the bare elements of the song,its the same as any rock song:a good riff,decent lyrics and singing ability,and a not terrible rhythm section.So what makes the Jonas Bros any different than any other band,when it comes down to the bare songs they make? The first thing I thought of was the ballads,but good bands make those too.

I had this thought as today my brother asked me why I did'nt liek them,and although I REALLY REALLY hate them,the only reason I could come up with was the lack of a guitar solo,and thats not very good.
meh
Uhhh....

Pop bass lines usualy have a dotted quarter note and an eigth note.

That is about all I know.
TBK ||RIP
BBAS||RIP
50RR||RIP
AO|| RIP
WMW||RIP
SF||RIP
SMB||RIP
TS||RIP

HYW
They're different because tehy have their own style? All music can be traced back to the same source if you want to get technical about it. There's a lot of room for variety in those traits that you listed.
Excessive simplicity, high-pitched vocals, and appeal to preteen girls due to the pretty boy band members and over-commercialization.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
The instrumentation in pop music is different than the ones used in rock. The melodic approach differ as well. Rhythmically, pop music is either more syncopated or less syncopated than rock.

Quote by SOADrox429
Excessive simplicity, high-pitched vocals, and appeal to preteen girls due to the pretty boy band members and over-commercialization.

Wow, wrong.

Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
Pop is short for Popular

While this is true, "pop" music does have its own distinctive sound. It's not merely just what is popular. If baroque music was somehow miraculously popular again, it still wouldn't be pop music.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
The instrumentation in pop music is different than the ones used in rock. The melodic approach differ as well. Rhythmically, pop music is either more syncopated or less syncopated than rock.

Wow, wrong.

Yeah, well... You stink.
I knew all of that, I just didn't know the terms... Pop is overly commercialized, though.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
Pop is short for Popular

This is the answer
Put on some pants, its time to dance! -The Happy Phrase

Quote by Alice Cooper
The hippies wanted peace and love. We wanted Ferraris, blondes and switchblades.

Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Banned because... Disaster, you good sir, are a f*cking genius!
Pop music is usually extremely commercialized and overproduced, and relies more on image, production, and advertising than the music itself. For the most part, it is delibritely crafted to appeal to the teenage set, particularly female, and places a premium on a catchy chorus and "hook." Lyrics are almost always an afterthought, and rarely go deeper than "oh baby, i love you and wish you hadn't left me" or "oh baby, let's have sex in my expensive SUV" depending on the specific type of pop music.
kill all humans
Quote by Xiaoxi

While this is true, "pop" music does have its own distinctive sound. It's not merely just what is popular. If baroque music was somehow miraculously popular again, it still wouldn't be pop music.

Baroque music isn't popular anymore? Crap, that's why I can't impress girls by listening to it. Darn Monteverdi and his inability to attract girls towards me.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by SOADrox429

right on. and the fact they lip sync.
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
Quote by SOADrox429

I knew all of that, I just didn't know the terms... Pop is overly commercialized, though.

I don't see how pop music is more commercialized than rock or any other mainstream music.

And it's not overly simplistic in every aspect. Sure, in terms of structure, it is very predictable, but pop music can be more harmonically interesting than rock.

Quote by Karvid
Baroque music isn't popular anymore? Crap, that's why I can't impress girls by listening to it. Darn Monteverdi and his inability to attract girls towards me.

Everyone knows girls only get wet to Bach's fugues. I know I do.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 31, 2008,
in 20 years, Korn and Slipnot will be rememverererd as pop music cuz theyyt were popular in ourr timesa
Quote by Xiaoxi
I don't see how pop music is more commercialized than rock or any other mainstream music.

It's all an act, really. Rock stars claim to be "anti-commercial" and everything like that, all while enjoying their huge paychecks.
Tripe lyrics?

For some of them, I mean...
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
3-part harmony.

usually upbeat, upbeat, upbeat.

repetitive.
catchy.

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

Quote by Spamwise
It's all an act, really. Rock stars claim to be "anti-commercial" and everything like that, all while enjoying their huge paychecks.

theris nothin rong with dad
When you open a can of RenCo,and it goes POP....best pop music EVER!
Hodam,a stojim...
Quote by Mr. Rittard

usually upbeat, upbeat, upbeat.

Spot on with the emphasis of the upbeat. But I don't see how it's often a 3-part harmony. Give me an example.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Then why is it wrong for Christina Aguilera or Whitney Houston or Savage Garden to do the same?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
you can't not like a certain type of music just because it is popular... thats too try hard
Quote by Spamwise

Rock is not against making money,it's against making music solely for the purpose of making money!
Hodam,a stojim...
Quote by Azrael_031
Rock is not against making money,it's against making music solely for the purpose of making money!

No, Music is a job as much as any other job is a job. They're doing it to make money to live. They might be enjoying it and expressing themselves while doing it, but that doesn't change that fact.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Spot on with the emphasis of the upbeat. But I don't see how it's often a 3-part harmony. Give me an example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy7SvZQfeBM

three part harmony is big in pop,
though you can have pop without it.

this is a kind of alterna-pop, you could say,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CCQ7IiWZBg

and justin timberlake is usually more or less poppy.

Flam·boy·ant

Quote by Azrael_031

Okay, Mr. Passionate. Whatever you say.

Quote by Mr. Rittard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy7SvZQfeBM

three part harmony is big in pop,
though you can have pop without it.

this is a kind of alterna-pop, you could say,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CCQ7IiWZBg

and justin timberlake is usually more or less poppy.

Oh yea. Good point.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 31, 2008,

I agree. Father seems to be in excellent health.
oohh. Mika is pretty much definitive pop music.

Flam·boy·ant

Pop music is not necessarily bad. Everyone who is saying it is overly commercial and talentless is making a huge generalization. Listen to the Beach Boys, they are as pop as can be but I would be willing to bet that Brian Wilson has more talent when it comes to writing melodies, harmonies and arrangements than anyone in this thread.
^Yeah, don't forget that The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix were considered "pop" back in their day too.
Modern Pop:
Generic Bass Line + Cheezy Lyrics + dancing + occasional synthesizer + **** = pop music
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Catchy Catchy Catchy!!!

That all there is to pop music.
Something you can get fast, that can stick in your head for a while, you can sing and dance along to...
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
Pop is short for Popular

That's how it used to be. now it's mainly the hookieness of a song. Screeching Weasel is a pop-punk band, and they aren't very "popular".
POPULAR music: music that can be listened/enjoyed by the public in general (ie: in contrast to academic/art music).

POP music: style that emphasizes (sp?) commmercial success, charts, etc. it usually has very complex lyrics such as "baby why do you leave me?" "why has my dog left me?" and not so often, the variation "why has my baby became my dog?". or something like that.
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.