I can't seem to get my downpicking right. I try to play thrash type stuff like Metallica and Bullet for my Valentine. I can't figure out a comfortable way to do it, and it sounds like ****. How can I get it to sound even and strong?
just keep practicing, when i started doing fast down picking it felt all awkward too. play the riff u want to learn slowly, and when u master it and it feels comfortable, speed it up
But what I'm still not sure about is the technique. I don't know if I'm even doing it right.
Downpicking is all about palm-muting. Learn the palm-muting technique and it will sound great.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by 365_days_gone
Downpicking is all about palm-muting. Learn the palm-muting technique and it will sound great.

Haha. Dude I wouldn't be playing thrash if I didn't know how to palm mute. I learned it at an early level.
imo, its all in the way you mute the strings so its all in the palm mute technique. tehn you look for a comfortable position to do downpicking.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Lots of wanking = good strong arm for downpicking!! Just kidding but it had to be said!!

Just practise practise practise and then practise some more, its just getting used to a new technique and I doubt there is a "set" way to do it. Just play around with your right hand position (I assume you play right handed) and see what feels most comfortable for you. For me I hate resting my hand too close to the bridge so I tend to keep it slightly forwards away from there but everyone is different and prefers different positions for their picking hand.

Also what Ripsaw said was good advice, start off slow and get used to the feel of the picking, you have to get your arm used to a new style and it may take a while before you can mash away at 200bpm whilst downpicking only!! Master of Puppets is good to practise your downpicking!!
I find the harder I hold down my hand on the bridge the harder it is to downpick... Keep your hand light on the bridge but down enough so it's still palm muted. Listen to some Lamb of God, theres downpicking for ya also Master of Puppets, but thats an obvious one
Pick from your wrist, not your arm. It sucks at first, but it gets better.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by SupremeACL
Pick from your wrist, not your arm. It sucks at first, but it gets better.

What he said

Also, are you holding the pick correctly? That was a problem for me at first, but I figured it out.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Quote by Vasser

Also, are you holding the pick correctly? That was a problem for me at first, but I figured it out.

Just buy some Plectro's then you can't hold them wrong coz they work anyway you hold then as they are a circular pick with a hole in the middle for grip!! They are great little picks and I am upset coz I lost mine (not from dropping it LOL!!)

http://www.ukguitarstrings.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=126&bc=no