So I'm out looking around, figured I was looking for another strat. A three out of four conditions needed to be met:

1. Body in good condition
2. neck in good condition, maple fretboard
3. pickups/other parts of actual value
4. less than $150

I got a Ibanez RX 20 for $140. I came home and researched it and found one for $100 somewhere used. but what I bought it for was the neck being an 22 fret maple/maple neck with some nice figure, decent condition frets, and the heel is probably the same as the neck for the body I'm putting it on having come from the same factory.

And suprised thought when I got it home. The sales guy said a couple of times: "Sounds like a nice Gibson pickup to me." making emphasis on that pickup. He also commented that the neck pickup was bluesy. The neck pickup had been replaced by a single coil dual blade humbucker. It has the same color corresponding wires of a duncan but it has no recogniseable descriminators other than "F & C" etched in white on the bottom of the magnet of the pickup. The bridge pickup upon inspection is a PRS 7 Treble pickup. Hot damn, hard to get. I've been wanting this pickup since I was 16. got it out of chance. weee.

So there was $140. Neck, and possibly both pickups might hit my main axe.
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
Last edited by jedilley at Jul 31, 2008,
VERY nice deal.

my first guitar, and first guitar i modded was my ibanez RX20. VERY good guitar, 90 bucks, including gig bag =]

still plays amazingly well. i just really need to refret it.

isn't the neck like butter?
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
I played it for about 10 minutes in the shop, then about 10 minutes at home. strings were old and the neck needed cleaning. I took the bridge humbucker from the ZR140BK (8.7k or something) and put it in the neck pickup space of the RX20. The other guitar, the artist, gets the neck and middle coil swapped into middle and bridge positions respectively, with the dual blade single coil humbucker in the neck. a bridge on switch to be added for that one.

I have a thing for maple fretboards. I love em. Anyways. got the sperzels installed on the RX20 neck, along with the roller tuners. The RX20's bridge is heavier and the metal on the saddles seems smoother, so I'm going to see if it won't hold a tune through slight trem use... what with the locking tuners and all. if not, lock it down again.

Need to solder in new pickup and redo electronics. person who installed bridge pickup had it turned in a non standard direction 180 degrees.

The red guitar will probably be repainted. The new guitar is black, and the pickguard was white at some point, but you can tell it's aged.

Also, the RX20 and ZR140BK although looking similar at first glance, most is different. The pickguards do not swap, the necks do with some fitting/trimming/sanding adjustments with alot of work. Although both being made out of similar multi-ply wood, the RX20 is thicker. And the RX20 neck's fretboard is a 22 fret neck. Both made in different plants. And the RX20 came with powersound pickups originally, but obviously both pickups having been replaced when I got it.
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
Last edited by jedilley at Aug 1, 2008,