hey all got a question for the masters of mods and customizing. I just got done modding my od pedal and instead of painting it, I ran the grinder across it a few times to give it a raw, unevenly sanded look. Now for the question: can I just clear coat it with krylon clear coat or is there something else I should be using. thanx
Quote by Christ Lover
why do you need to clear coat metal if there isn't any paint on it?

could stop it oxidizing (sp?).
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
I wanted to clear coat it to keep it from oxidizing and to keep what I did to it from getting scratched. The way I took the grinder to it looks beat up, but in a nice looking way (I'll put some pics up later to show you what I mean). Anywho, any help on steps to clear coating this thing? thanx
Quote by twistudriffer
I wanted to clear coat it to keep it from oxidizing and to keep what I did to it from getting scratched. The way I took the grinder to it looks beat up, but in a nice looking way (I'll put some pics up later to show you what I mean). Anywho, any help on steps to clear coating this thing? thanx

I think krylon shoul work fine, I'm not sure if it adheres to metal though, but I think it should, I used it last on something I clear coated and it worked great.
walmart brand clear coat works excellent,..and it only cost .98 cents!!..wooo whoooo!

but for whatever brand you use,..make sure you clean the metal real well..and theN wipe it a couple times with mineral spirits before you apply the clear coat,..and apply several coats.....dont wait until its dry between coats...it should be tacky.

if you wanted to paint it and then apply clear coat....apply the same technique...clean/mineral spirits/paint and apply the clear coat before it dries...the pedal will appear wet,...looks pretty sharp

<---MOTORHEAD AS WELL AS GUITAR JUNKY---
true, it might get a little shinier. just google baking pedals. You put your pedal enclosure in like a toaster oven. NEVER USE IT FOR FOOD AGAIN. google it though.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
true, it might get a little shinier. just google baking pedals. You put your pedal enclosure in like a toaster oven. NEVER USE IT FOR FOOD AGAIN. google it though.

There are different types of clear coat (Gloss, Semi-gloss, and flat) So you can still get that metal look by using flat if you wanted to.
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame
I put baking pedals into google and this thread came up...
Call me Duncan.

Nearly always have D'addario EXL110 strings instock - just ask!

Custom made guitar slides available - choose the glass, length etc.. Engraving availible. PM or email for more info.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!