My band and I have just recently gotten some studio gear and recorded a new song today.

We've recorded in a studio before, but it was someone else's.
despite the fact that the other studio has pads and we just did this in a bedroom, i want to know how come my tone is kind of muddy at some points.

I'm starting to get worried that my tone was like that all along but i just didnt notice
how can i EQ my amp to the point where it won't be so muddy anymore and has a clear crunch tone and smooth and clear lead tone

here is our link

http://www.myspace.com/dyslexiccrown

the song we have just recorded is called "Circles"
its the rough mix, we havent been able to master it just yet (we use cubase btw)

I play a Parker P-44 through a Carvin V3 (no effects) i plugged straight into the amp to record the song
my current settings are

Presence- 6
Treble- 7.5
bass- 9
mid- 5.5
drive(gain)- 7

i currently have it set to "thick" mode, which is supposed to give a beefier sound
and i also have my EQX turned on
those settings are

Bright- 7
Mid Cut (the more i turn up the more it scoops the mids) - 6.5
Deep - 7.5

other V3 owners would know what i'm talking about
but otherwise, i could just use some tips and advice in general
listen to the clip and tell me what you think i should do

please and thank you UG
lower the bass and turn down the gain.

when you record gain really goes a LONG way

also try lowering the deep
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Last edited by JLT73 at Jul 31, 2008,
Less bass and more upper Midrange. Dont be afraid to use an EQ plug-in after you record. Boost From 600HZ to 1.5Hz and that will sound great.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
^^^ agreed, needs more of the upper mids, get an EQ pedal.

Second, the recording is really bad, I'm going to assume you just recorded this live? There is no balance at all and everything sounds a little bit muffled.
Quote by al112987
^^^ agreed, needs more of the upper mids, get an EQ pedal.

Second, the recording is really bad, I'm going to assume you just recorded this live? There is no balance at all and everything sounds a little bit muffled.

actually we didn't record it live
we did it track by track
in our practice room
which is our drummer's bedroom
and plus we didn't edit it or anything, the most we did was raise frequencies on the bass so that could be heard a lot better

we didnt mix it or master it just yet

is there any other suggestions or advice i could get concerning the recording itself?
Ah... yeah in that case, a good mix will probably get it to sound better. The guitar needs more high midrange cut. The vocals are a little overpowering and the drums sound a bit thin.

My two cents
Quote by al112987
Ah... yeah in that case, a good mix will probably get it to sound better. The guitar needs more high midrange cut. The vocals are a little overpowering and the drums sound a bit thin.

My two cents

alright cool, thanks
we didn't have the most expensive gear to work with
just a few mics and an interface

how do you think we can go about making the drums sound fuller and less thin?

is there anything you suggest for bass, besides getting rid of the clipping somehow?

and is there any other suggestions for guitar?
Quote by forsaknazrael
double up the bass track. the high notes sound thin. This will work better than raising frequencies.
yeah, the vocals are a bit over powering. also, add a touch of reverb to them.

Don't cut so much of your mids, man, you're barely in the mix.

i'm kinda curious to see how your co-guitarist EQs his V3
my V3 is still fairly new to me, so i'm open with experimentation for better tone and stuff
Yeah, it's a pretty powerful EQ. Is yours set up with EL34's?

You can hear an okay clip of it on my profile.
The track "Rush" features mic-ed tracks by me and him I'm on a modded Valve Junior, he's on his V3. The solo is him on his V3.

Now, I saw add some reverb to the vocal because this will make them sound more natural. Don't overdo it and sound splashy, though.
Experiment with mic position on your amp, too.
Also on your drummer's snare. It sounds awful, haha. I bet the mic isn't doing him justice.

But yes, mic position. i believe Keith Richards said if you get everything right with mic position, you won't ever need to do any EQing in Post.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jul 31, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Yeah, it's a pretty powerful EQ. Is yours set up with EL34's?

You can hear an okay clip of it on my profile.
The track "Rush" features mic-ed tracks by me and him I'm on a modded Valve Junior, he's on his V3. The solo is him on his V3.

Now, I saw add some reverb to the vocal because this will make them sound more natural. Don't overdo it and sound splashy, though.
Experiment with mic position on your amp, too.
Also on your drummer's snare. It sounds awful, haha. I bet the mic isn't doing him justice.

But yes, mic position. i believe Keith Richards said if you get everything right with mic position, you won't ever need to do any EQing in Post.

does his snare really sound that bad?
what else could he do besides change mic position?
Sounds bad because it's a bad snare, or the tuning?

He just got it. paid like 500 bucks for it. the Steve Jordan sig snare.

I'm the bassist btw.

I had to change all my EQ settings just so it wouldnt clip. and it STILL did, and ended up sounding like complete ****hole because of it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's probably not a bad snare, it just sounds bad on the recording. Like I said, mic positioning can help.
I'm going to point UnsignedRecords here.

Are you mic-ing your bass? A lot of people record Bass direct.

I'm going straight into the Balanced out.

Gain-12 o'clock
Bass-2 o'clock
Ultra Mid-11 o'clock
Treble-3 o'clock
Volume-3 o'clock(to get the full tone out of my amp)

Built in "Limiter" is on

Graphic EQ is on. With the "california Smile" I.E. Scooped mids

did the -20dB on the back for the line and the PAD on the front for -15dB

The amp: Ampeg B2R
Bass: Fender MIA JP-90 playing on the neck pick up.

This was my exact setting for the recording.

usually it is the same, but without the -20dB and the -15dB, and I play on my pickup selector on the middle.

but yea,

XLR cable into the Interface. Stereo.

Every track was recorded stereo.
Last edited by aurian4parker at Aug 1, 2008,
Really? You've got that Ampeg, and it's clipping? It's got tons of headroom, though. The clipping only occurs on the recording, though, right?

Hmm...I don't know how you just adjust levels and stuff in Cubase, but when I record with my band in Traction, the input can be adjusted so that you can low the levels so there's no clipping.
The problem here is that you use a lot of slap and pop techniques, and these spike the levels. You'll need to adjust the levels according to your slapping and stuff.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Really? You've got that Ampeg, and it's clipping? It's got tons of headroom, though. The clipping only occurs on the recording, though, right?

Hmm...I don't know how you just adjust levels and stuff in Cubase, but when I record with my band in Traction, the input can be adjusted so that you can low the levels so there's no clipping.
The problem here is that you use a lot of slap and pop techniques, and these spike the levels. You'll need to adjust the levels according to your slapping and stuff.
So you think we could just go inside cubase and fix the clips?

Well I dont clip at all while playing. even full volume....but I DOO peak almost all the time on my amp...

It's going in a rack, through a power conditioner. and all of it goes into an Avatar B210 Neo cab

Almost every amp I've ever owned....

Except this one Line 6 I had. BUT! that is because it's a line 6.
how many mics are you using for the drums? they don't sound too bad, just could use a bit more balance.

and either up the mids one the guitar, or adjust the mic input level higher next time. for now, i guess you'll have to turn up the volume/mids of the guitar.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by forsaknazrael
^^Yeah, it's due to your technique. Not saying your techniques bad, you just need to compensate for it in your recording process.
You'll need to re-record the clips, though.
**** man....This sucks ass. I am too lazy to go through all that. Okay. Thanks man

Like for a HOME recording though. and for it being our VERY first time recording anything with this equipment. and we have never used cuebase before.

ANDDDD it hasn't been mastered yet.

how does it sound? okay? any chance of it sounding 10x better with some more experience?

Man, I'm hijacking Alan's thread here.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
how many mics are you using for the drums? they don't sound too bad, just could use a bit more balance.

and either up the mids one the guitar, or adjust the mic input level higher next time. for now, i guess you'll have to turn up the volume/mids of the guitar.

1 overhead mic
Bass mic
high tom mic
low tom mic
snare mic

It was a 7 piece mic kit. we only used 5
Quote by aurian4parker
how does it sound? okay? any chance of it sounding 10x better with some more experience?

Haha, it's all good man. We all have to start somewhere. TBH, probably pretty decent for a first try. Cubase isn't that straightforward, from what I can remember.

Definitely can get it to sound better, but be prepared to invest time in this. There's no half assing it.
mmkay. so it seems like the overhead is picking up a lot more of the snare than the actual snare. i heard the low tom pretty clear, but the high tom, not so much.

you'll notice when you start playing with the eq of the toms, the bleed from the cymbals and snare will be either pronounced or covered up.

try to find a nice even balance between the overhead and the snare. it just seems real reverb-y, but you may have been going for that.

oh, and yeah, this ain't too bad for a first time recording.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Haha, it's all good man. We all have to start somewhere. TBH, probably pretty decent for a first try. Cubase isn't that straightforward, from what I can remember.

Definitely can get it to sound better, but be prepared to invest time in this. There's no half assing it.
well I dont know what TBH(take bitches home) means but yea.

Thanks a lot for all the help!
Quote by UnsignedRecords
mmkay. so it seems like the overhead is picking up a lot more of the snare than the actual snare. i heard the low tom pretty clear, but the high tom, not so much.

you'll notice when you start playing with the eq of the toms, the bleed from the cymbals and snare will be either pronounced or covered up.

try to find a nice even balance between the overhead and the snare. it just seems real reverb-y, but you may have been going for that.

oh, and yeah, this ain't too bad for a first time recording.
VERY reverb-y...haha. No pads what so ever in the room man. And wood floors..
hah damn that sucks when you don't want it. i guess try lowering the overhead, since they really pick up room reverb.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by forsaknazrael
To Be Honest.

Maybe put some rugs or blankets up? Natural reverb is nice with drums, since it's hard to add on in Post, but you gotta control it.
True story...There's a bed in the room with sheets and blankets. count?
Quote by UnsignedRecords
hah damn that sucks when you don't want it. i guess try lowering the overhead, since they really pick up room reverb.
ahhh. okay.

The only thing we need reverb on is Alan's amp.

Reverb=The V3's worst enemy.

ha
we'll give it a try and mess around with cubase

if anything else comes up
we'll just bump this thread again and hopefully get some more answers

thanks guys
Score-o-rama guys,!

We EQ'ed the guitar and drums and all.

it sounds 10x better!

And we EQ'd the voice a little and added some chorus and reverb.

Thanks UG
we have the new version of Circles up

we didnt re-record anything, but i think it sounds better than the last one

we also recorded a new song of ours, Three to Disco
I think that came out alot better than Circles thanks to a few pointers

also i backed off some deep and bass from my amp and turned my mids up a bit more
now i have even MORE monster tone, thanks guys

myspace.com/dyslexiccrown
do you have everything running straight down the center or do you have anything panned?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
nice eq'ing job. sounds great
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by JLT73
do you have everything running straight down the center or do you have anything panned?

i'm sorry but i kind of dont understand this question...
Quote by parkerfly123
i'm sorry but i kind of dont understand this question...

He means have you used the stereo to move the sound distribution between speakers and change the 'position' of the sound from left to right for the tracks. This is known as the stereo pan of the tracks and can give a 'bigger' sound. It can help divide apart the tracks and prevent them mixing together and sounding too messy and conflicting.