Well, the Ceriatone DC-30 that I ordered a month ago has arrived today. Shipped with DHL, and it only took 3 days to arrive on my doorstep.

I have a head cab sitting here for it to go in, and I'm just about to drill some holes in the cab to hold the chassis, but before I do that I just wanted to share how well this thing is built. I've built a few amps myself, and I know a neat layout when I see one. Let me tell you, this DC-30 isn't just neat. IT'S A WORK OF ART! I haven't fired it up yet - that'll come when I get it into the cab. But I'm just amazed at the build quality... I'd expect that sort of quality from an amp $1000 more expensive. Well done to those at Ceriatone. More updates once I plug a guitar in.
I've always heard great things about Nik's stuff. I was very close to buying one of his JTM45s but went Metropoulos instead. He does awesome awesome builds for a great price. And he answers his emails very promptly too!

I'd love to hear his Trainwreck Express clone. Might be next on my list after an 18 watter (the GAS never ends...)
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 31, 2008,
I too am consistently impressed with the quality coming from Ceriatone. Why they haven't taken over the world yet still baffles me.

A friend of mine has an Overtone and one of his 2203 clones. Both sound outstanding and will probably survive World Wars 3, 4, and 5.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
^Do you maybe have a more in depth review of the Overtone? I'm gassing for one HARD.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Alright, still haven't got the stage where I can post a full review, but I've fired her up, and it sounds quite amazing... A couple of issues though:

Firstly, the master volume pot (it's a switched pot) is a bit crackly and intermittent through it's rotation, and it's quite hard to tune in a nice low bedroom volume because of this. I've emailed Nik about this, and he seems quite good about it so far - just making sure that it is the MV pot that's bad, and that there's nothing else that could be causing it. With the MV switched out everything's fine, but it's damn loud!

Secondly, and this is NOT ceriatone's fault in any way, the EF86 tube in the second channel died on me all of a sudden, and is showing resistance between the grid and screen (basically, it's just a short inside the tube). I'll order another EF86 - these things happen, and there's no way to predict when a tube is going to fail. I had a good half hour of playing before it died. It was an Electro-harmonix EF86, so not the worst EF86 out there. As I said, I'm happy to wear this one myself, as there's nothing different Ceriatone could have done to avoid this.

I feel really bad starting off on a negative note - this amp sounds killer, is a joy to play, and I love it!!! I just need a new EF86. I'll do a proper review once that arrives, and I get a chance to crank it. It has gone through one band practice so far, only on the 'clean' channel, and it cuts through very nicely. It gets very crunchy past about 2/3rd on the gain. Just what I need. More later...
Last edited by xenolith42 at Aug 3, 2008,
Losing the tube sucks. Did Ceriatone send the tubes with the amp? As far as it had to travel, it probably got damaged during shipping.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Yeah, the tubes got sent with the amp. The whole thing was packed very well though. Double boxed, and absolutely smothered in bubble wrap and packing peanuts. I'll say again, there was nothing Ceriatone could have done to prevent that. Heck, the tube worked for the first half an hour... And Nik's emailed back as well, and is more than happy to send me a replacement MV pot. So everything's just fine!
Pics pl0x!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^^Oh, I don't doubt they were packed well, but when tubes are shipped half way across the world, you're going to run into a problem or two. It just comes with the territory.

^Agreed!

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86