I've been playing for a year and a half now. I know alot of theory including the pentatonic shapes and modes, I've known music pretty much before I picked up guitar. I can say I am a pretty decent metal rhythm player seeing as it's all I ever play, but when it comes to solos I still choke.

I recently started listening to alot of Yngwie's older stuff like the "Rising Force" album and I love all of it

Anyways, my question is how would I properly practice to develop my lead playing? Other then knowing the pentatonics and modes how can I practice them or what kind of songs can I play to get to the next level of playing "technical" wise? Obviously just sitting there and running through scales won't do the trick.
Quote by NickoAbate
I've been playing for a year and a half now. I know alot of theory including the pentatonic shapes and modes, I've known music pretty much before I picked up guitar. I can say I am a pretty decent metal rhythm player seeing as it's all I ever play, but when it comes to solos I still choke.

I recently started listening to alot of Yngwie's older stuff like the "Rising Force" album and I love all of it

Anyways, my question is how would I properly practice to develop my lead playing? Other then knowing the pentatonics and modes how can I practice them or what kind of songs can I play to get to the next level of playing "technical" wise? Obviously just sitting there and running through scales won't do the trick.

exactly. i've never learned a scale or any theory and i've almost been playing for about 2 years now and my soloing is pretty good.

you have to ditch the whole "learn theory/scales" thing and just learn your favorite songs. that helps with defining how YOU solo.

EDIT: sorry, i didn't word that correctly. it's okay to learn scales/theory, but don't base your entire guitar playing on it.
Choose one song that you would like to play (try to no start with the most dificult one) And learn to play it PERFECTLY, with a backing track, or above the real song you playing up of it.

When i say perfectly is that the solo sounds completely the same (after some years you will like to give special sound to the solo, but keeping the same notes)

After learning this ONE song, choose another one, and continue until you think you can handle more than one song at the time, and soon your solo skills would improve, but also your general playing would improve, because as i said before, learn the full song, not only the solo's...

At least that worked for me (and i started doing that after like 2 years of playing when i joined my first band)
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Quote by jess2112
exactly. i've never learned a scale or any theory and i've almost been playing for about 2 years now and my soloing is pretty good.

you have to ditch the whole "learn theory/scales" thing and just learn your favorite songs. that helps with defining how YOU solo.

EDIT: sorry, i didn't word that correctly. it's okay to learn scales/theory, but don't base your entire guitar playing on it.

+1.

I only know 2 scales, No theory, and I've been playing for 2 1/2 years or more.

just learn simple solos, and move on.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
Quote by jess2112

That defines how that ARTIST solos. To develop your style, just improvise over some backing tracks. And if you like yngwie, definetly(sp?) beef up your theory, because he places that above all elase (read interviews with him).
take your time and go slow at any solo your try and build up your speed when you feel your comfortable too . if your jump right into it your playing will just get sloppy make sure all your vibrato's and bends are hitting the right notes. just be very cautious of what your doing. start with simple solo's and work your way up...first solo i learned was nothing else matters - metallica or maybe even the solo from ruin - lamb of god . running scales will only help you get better at them for so long theres many other aspects to soloing then scales. sorry if thats confuseing at all lol
Quote by imafool18
+1.

I only know 2 scales, No theory, and I've been playing for 2 1/2 years or more.

just learn simple solos, and move on.

exactly. a lot of the time i just learn the rhythm part of a song if it's not my "style" of solo.

i wouldn't say just learn simple solos, but start off simple and slowly progress to solos with more advanced techniques.
lots of great tips, thanks guys

edit: with that in mind, anyone have any suggestions for songs to try mastering before moving onto other ones? i'm not a TOTAL noob lol... I can shred (with the exception of it sounding musical) and I can do some pretty good sweeps and pretty quick alternate picking i'm just not sure where to start learning songs
Last edited by NickoAbate at Jul 31, 2008,
Quote by NickoAbate
lots of great tips, thanks guys

no problem.

by the way, how long have you been playing? maybe we can suggest some solos for you.
Quote by jess2112
no problem.

by the way, how long have you been playing? maybe we can suggest some solos for you.

year and a half as of now, read my edit on post above as well
Quote by NickoAbate
year and a half as of now, read my edit on post above as well

only a year and a half and you can sweep? pretty good, man. i've been playing for almost 2 years and i'm still trying to master sweeping.

another factor in solo recommendation is your style/favorite genre of music to play. sorry if you already wrote this, but i already typed it out. favorite bands would be helpful, too.
Quote by jess2112
exactly. a lot of the time i just learn the rhythm part of a song if it's not my "style" of solo.

i wouldn't say just learn simple solos, but start off simple and slowly progress to solos with more advanced techniques.

That's what I meant, learn simple solos and move on.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
Quote by imafool18
That's what I meant, learn simple solos and move on.

oh, sorry. i misunderstood you.
Quote by jess2112
oh, sorry. i misunderstood you.

Yea.

It's OK man.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
Im not that great of a player, but when I solo I use very little scales. I just pick up the ol guitar and wail. And you know what? It sounds good to me, and thats all that matters.
Quote by slidething31
Blues men don't wear band T shirts.
If anyone can tell I play mostly metal... any starting guidelines? I've picked up some Metallica stuff once in a while
Quote by NickoAbate
If anyone can tell I play mostly metal... any starting guidelines? I've picked up some Metallica stuff once in a while

Symphony of Destruction is easy.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
While scales might not be the most fun thing to play I wouldn't disregard them completely. They do help you develop hand dexterity and coordination. Plus it's good to have a working knowledge of them because they're the basis for most solos.
08' Fender MiA Strat
Fender Blues Junior
I got one more question... when I solo I see a huge line of notes or a huge lick and cant seem to remember it or play through the entire thing. Any tips of learning solos/memorizing them?
Quote by NickoAbate
I got one more question... when I solo I see a huge line of notes or a huge lick and cant seem to remember it or play through the entire thing. Any tips of learning solos/memorizing them?

well, you need good memorizing skills to play guitar. happens to me too (and i'm sure other people as well).

only suggestions i can think of are:

1. listen to the song many times paying close attention to the solo/part(s) you want to learn
2. come back to it when your skill level improves

let me explain 2 further. let's say you wanted to learn a song, then you found out it was too hard for you. if you go learn other stuff and come back to it sometime in the future, you will have gotten better since then, and may be able to learn it the next time.